Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Default Display Track Changes Date/Time stamp in Reviewing Pane

I quite often want to find which parts of a document I was editing on a
particular day or at a particular time. This information shows up in the
tooltips when you hover over the change, but that isn't much help when you
want to scan quickly through a whole lot of changes in a document you may
have kept returning to over an extended period.

A logical place to display this time stamp info would be to add it as a
feature (perhaps an optional feature) in the Reviewing Pane. As far as I can
see this is not presently possible.

Better still would be to have a way to search the reviewing pane to find
changes by date or time, but even the simple addition of the time stamp data
to the existing reviewing pane so that you can quickly run your eye down it
would considerably boost its utility.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi David,

A logical place to display this time stamp info would be to add it as a
feature (perhaps an optional feature) in the Reviewing Pane. As far as I can
see this is not presently possible.

Do you mind if I ask which version of Word you're using?

I have Word 2007 and I see the date/time stamp in the Reviewing pane, for each
entry. It's at the right-hand side of the "title bar" for the entry. (On the
left, the action taken; in the middle the author name; at the right, the
date/time).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your reply - which is very interesting, but also baffling.

I'm using Word 2007, and in my reviewing pane the "title bar" for each entry
simply has, on the left, Inserted, or Deleted, or Comment (plus Comment
Number), etc., and on the right the author/reviewer name. Nothing else.

What you describe is exactly what I want. But I've looked everywhere I can
think of - on the Ribbon and in Word Options - and I can't find any way to
change settings to get what you describe.

So it turns out to be a mystery rather than a suggestion for Microsoft. Not
sure if your reply was reassuring or the opposite, but I do appreciate it!

David

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi David,

A logical place to display this time stamp info would be to add it as a
feature (perhaps an optional feature) in the Reviewing Pane. As far as I can
see this is not presently possible.

Do you mind if I ask which version of Word you're using?

I have Word 2007 and I see the date/time stamp in the Reviewing pane, for each
entry. It's at the right-hand side of the "title bar" for the entry. (On the
left, the action taken; in the middle the author name; at the right, the
date/time).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Dave,

I'm using Word 2007, and in my reviewing pane the "title bar" for each entry
simply has, on the left, Inserted, or Deleted, or Comment (plus Comment
Number), etc., and on the right the author/reviewer name. Nothing else.

What you describe is exactly what I want. But I've looked everywhere I can
think of - on the Ribbon and in Word Options - and I can't find any way to
change settings to get what you describe.

I've looked for almost an hour and I can't find it, either. OTOH I did find a
way to change something that simply started on its own and has been bothering
me for some time...

You might try running the Office diagnostics and see if that finds a problem in
the Word installation and repairs it.

Ah, one other thought: were these documents created in Word 2007, or are you
opening documents created and edited in an earlier version of Word?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Newmarch David Newmarch is offline

Hi Cindy

I posted a reply yesterday that seems not to have gone through, so this is
to thank you once more for your trouble, and to say that the Date/Time stamp
is missing from the reviewing pane whether I'm working on an older pre-Word
2007 document, or a newly created .docx document.

Office Diagnostics simply reports that my Office 2007 installation needs to
be updated, but on the other hand Windows Update (my OS is Vista Business)
disagrees and tells me that I already have all necessary updates for all
programs including Office. So I do at least know that either Office
Diagnostics or Windows Update is faulty. Maybe I will eventually try
reinstalling Office 2007 and then updating it all over again, but another
solution will be to simply adjust my priorities and get on with other things!

David

Hi Dave,