Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
justlearning

Default remove dashed line under address line in word document

I need to attach a letter from word to an e-mail and I don't want any
auto-corrections to show. At the top of the letter, I have an address line.
There's a red dashed line under the address and I can't figure out how to
disable it. Just looks unprofessional, you know?! Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Angelina

You should be able to 'right click' and click on 'ignore suggestions'. It's
saying it doesn't like the way it is done... However, it may still go
through on their computer as an incorrect or red squiggly line on the
end-users PC as their definitions may be set up to do so. Just because it
looks right on your computer doesn't mean that it'll be right on their
computer...

"justlearning" wrote:

I need to attach a letter from word to an e-mail and I don't want any
auto-corrections to show. At the top of the letter, I have an address line.
There's a red dashed line under the address and I can't figure out how to
disable it. Just looks unprofessional, you know?! Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

justlearning wrote:
I need to attach a letter from word to an e-mail and I don't want any
auto-corrections to show. At the top of the letter, I have an
address line. There's a red dashed line under the address and I can't
figure out how to disable it. Just looks unprofessional, you know?!
Thanks for the help.

That line probably indicates that the address is recognized by a "Smart
Tag". If you hover the mouse over the address, do you get a small square
with the i-in-circle "information" symbol? Clicking on that square will
display a dropdown menu of actions the Smart Tag can do.

You can turn off the display of Smart Tags for yourself in Tools
AutoCorrect Options Smart Tags. If you send the document to someone else
and they have Smart Tags enabled, though, they'll still see the underline
(but presumably that's the way they're used to seeing it).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alternatively, you can remove the smart tags from the document (Tools |
AutoCorrect Options | Smart Tags). As for spelling and grammar "errors," you
can choose "Hide spelling/grammatical errors in this document" (Tools |
Options | Spelling and Grammar) so that they won't be displayed on anyone's
system.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
justlearning wrote:
[...]

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Autocorrection (and most other) Smart Tags are not saved with the document.
Once it's been closed they won't be there.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

justlearning wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

The tags aren't saved in the document, but if the recipient has Smart
Tags enabled, their recognizer will show the tags just as if they had
been saved. A distinction without a difference...

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

justlearning wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Run that one by me again!

If I have a document with autocorrections I have just made, they have smart
tags.
If I save and close and re-open the document those autocorrections now no
longer have smart tags.

If I send it to someone else are you saying they can see those smart tags?

It offers up some intriguing possibilities.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

news

justlearning wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is it possible the two of you are using "smart tags" to mean different
things? Although the term is frequently applied to buttons such as the Paste
Options button and the AutoCorrect Options button, MS uses "smart tags" only
to refer to "Data recognized and labeled as a particular type," such as
names and addresses.

Obviously I'm clueless about this because I have totally disabled (and to
the extent possible removed) smart tags in my documents.

justlearning wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

I think we may have a terminology problem here.

AutoCorrect is one mechanism, and Smart Tags are another, despite their
options being placed in the same dialog.

When AutoCorrect has done something in your document, mousing over it
displays a little blue rectangle under the text. Hovering over this
rectangle brings up a box containing a lightning-bolt icon, which you can
click to get an AutoCorrect Options context menu. The trigger for this
behavior isn't saved in the document, and it won't show up in the
recipient's copy. It exists only during the current session, until you close
the document.

Smart Tags are created by plug-ins that look for things like people's names,
addresses, and stock symbols. Programmers using Visual Studio can create
custom Smart Tags for things such as product numbers or corporate divisions.
Individual plug-ins can be enabled or disabled, or the whole mechanism can
be turned off. When a Smart Tag recognizes its target in a document, it
applies a red or purple dotted underline to the text, and mousing over that
displays a box containing the information "i", which you can click to get a
Smart Tags context menu. It's possible but not necessary to save the
recognition trigger in the document (Tools Options Save Embed smart
tags).

My point was that if you see a Microsoft-supplied Smart Tag trigger in your
document -- say, an address -- you can turn off Smart Tags on your machine,
save the document without embedded tags, and send it to another computer. If
that user has Smart Tags enabled, the recognizer on their copy of Word will
(probably) recognize the same text. It will look the same as if you had
saved the tag.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

justlearning wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Thank you, Jay, and Suzanne.

Terminology problem is a nice euphemism - let's leave it at that
I understand now.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

justlearning wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're absolutely not alone; I've seen *many* sources (books on Word, for
example) refer to the Paste Options and AutoCorrect Options buttons as
"smart tags."

Tony Jollans wrote:
Run that one by me again!

If I have a document with autocorrections I have just made, they have
smart tags.
If I save and close and re-open the document those autocorrections
now no longer have smart tags.

If I send it to someone else are you saying they can see those smart
tags?

It offers up some intriguing possibilities.

news The tags aren't saved in the document, but if the recipient has Smart