Dixie

Default How to get a new page for each person

I am trying to produce certificates which list the achievements of each
person on a separate document (sheet). The number of achievements for each
person will not be the same. Each achievement will be in a single record in
a table in Access 2000. The same field must be used for each achievement.
I am fairly sure I will have to use a catalogue type merge document.. How
am I going to get a new certificate for each person I don't want to print
them one at a time as there are hundreds of certificates involved. It would
be nice to just click the print button on an Access form when all the data
is entered and have a single certificate for the achievements of each person
come out of the printer. My problem is having a new certificate document
start for each different person.

I am familiar with ordinary mailmerge where you are sending one record to a
document, but have never attempted anything like this. Any help would be
appreciated.

TIA
dixie

Doug Robbins

Using a formletter type mail merge will produce a new sheet for each
certificate.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Dixie" wrote in message
[...]

Dixie

I've tried this. The problem is that it is taking a page for each record in
MSAccess. I want a single page certificate for each person, but each person
may have anything up to say 10 awards which must be printed on the same
certificate. This means that in the query in Access, there could be 10
records for that person (or certificate). Each person does not have the
same number of awards.

So what I want basically is some information at the top of the certificate
that is to be printed only once and then I need the individual awared
records on that one page.

For example a single certificate needs to be in this form:

Yosemite Central Study Centre
Graduate: Jack Smith

Hammer users certificate
1st in advanced poetry
2nd in Partying
Meritorious performance in screwing up.

Signed: Joe Bloggs
Company Ratbag.

I've tried calalog and form letter, but in form letter, I get a new page per
entry, while in calog, it doesn't take a new page for a new person.

Any ideas?

dixie

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

That's much more tricky to do - see the complex merges documentation on
Cindy's web site
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...tm#ComplexMerg

Dixie wrote:
[...]

Dixie

Blast, I really didn't want to go with internal reports in Access as it
prevents customers from being able to modify the certificates to suit their
own likes/dislikes and means that I have to do them for each customer
independently. Oh well, you can alway live in hope. I wonder why this type
of mailmerge is not available through Word, it would not exactly be a unique
document.

Thanks anyway

Dixie wrote:
[...]

JohnB

Dixie.

What you need is something that allows you to "concatenate" fields. I got a
module designed by, I think, Duanne Hookum over on the Access Discussion
Group some months ago. This concatenates a given field in the "many" side
records relevent to each related "one" side. The results appear as an
expression field in a query.

This allows me to create a mail merge consisting of individual pages for
each School (the "one" side) and on each page is shown fields from the "many"
side records - student names. The names appear in a column because I
separated them using carriage return and line feed characters in the code
calling up the concatenate module.

It seems that this is exactly what you need, although I believe that there
are other ways to concatenate fields in Access. Unfortunately I will not be
able to help you further until next Tuesday at the earliest but in the
meantime, I suggest you post a question about concatenating on the Access
Discussion Group. You may be able to get help on Concatenating more quickly
there.

Best of luck, JohnB