Elbert

Default Page numbering and un-numbering

Hi,

In my document I want a cover page and a title page without a page numbers,
followed by a TOC with Roman numeral page numbers, followed by the main text
with Arabic numeral page numbers. I figure I need 3 sections.

I insert two section breaks. Since Im in section 3 at the moment, I view
headers and footers, insert a page number, select start at, and enter the
number 1. Section 3 looks good, but I notice that sections 1 and 2 now have
page numbers, which I didnt tell Word to put there, but theyre there anyhow.

I go to section 2 and format the page number, selecting Roman numeral style
and start at page 1. Section 2 looks good, section 3 is still OK.

I go to section 1 and, since this is to include the cover page and title
page, I delete the page number. Section 1 now has no page numbers, but
neither do sections 2 and 3. If I put the page number back in section 1, they
reappear in sections 2 and 3.

Ive read http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm but
the instructions there seem to work only if I have just one page at the
beginning that I want to be un-numbered, not two or more (it makes use of
different first page.)

Ive got to be missing something obvious here, and Id appreciate having it
pointed out to me.

Elbert

Daiya Mitchell

You need to unlink the sections. There's an icon on the header/footer
toolbar for Link to Previous or Save as Previous. With the cursor in
Section 2, turn it off. That will separate Section 1. You don't need to
unlink sections 2 and 3 just to change the number format.

See also:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

On 7/8/05 5:59 AM, "Elbert" wrote:

Hi,

In my document I want a cover page and a title page without a page numbers,
followed by a TOC with Roman numeral page numbers, followed by the main text
with Arabic numeral page numbers. I figure I need 3 sections.

I insert two section breaks. Since I¹m in section 3 at the moment, I view
headers and footers, insert a page number, select start at, and enter the
number 1. Section 3 looks good, but I notice that sections 1 and 2 now have
page numbers, which I didn¹t tell Word to put there, but they¹re there anyhow.

I¹ve read http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm but
the instructions there seem to work only if I have just one page at the
beginning that I want to be un-numbered, not two or more (it makes use of
different first page.)

I¹ve got to be missing something obvious here, and I¹d appreciate having it
pointed out to me.

Elbert

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word