Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hurger Hurger is offline

Default TOC and Index Troubles

I am having trouble creating an "index" for a document I've put
together. I've compiled some guitar music (chords) into a large
document and have successfully created a TOC using the song titles. I
have the "song title" as the first-level heading and the "artist" as a
second-level heading, but my TOC only uses the song title. The songs
(and the resulting TOC) are in alphabetical order. What I'd like to do
is create a second TOC (or and index?) that gives a list of the artists
and a sub-list of their particular songs (again, in alphabetical
order).

Example:
TOC1:
Country Roads
Friends in Low Places
Leaving on a Jet Plane
The Dance

TOC2:
Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places
(Garth Brooks) - The Dance
John Denver - Country Roads
(John Denver) - Leaving on a Jet Plane

I don't want the page numbers - just the listing. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
A A is offline

I forgot to mention that I'm using Word 2003 with SP1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to create an index, and for this you need to insert XE fields. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm. Note that the artist
will be the main index entry (best to include the names last name first,
e.g. "Brooks, Garth"), and the song titles will be subentries.

"Hurger" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Armand Armand is offline

Thanks very much, Suzanne. I now can continue inserting my XE fields
for the songs (Index2) and the artists (Index1) - only about 300 to go!
..

I am getting a format that looks like this:
INDEX1
INDEX2
INDEX2
INDEX2
INDEX1
INDEX2
INDEX1
INDEX2
INDEX2

Is there a way to change the layout/formatting of the index? Ideally,
I'd like to have something that makes it a little easier to distinguish
to the songs (Index2) that go with each artist (Index1). Something
like this:
INDEX1 : INDEX2
INDEX2
INDEX2

INDEX1: INDEX2

INDEX1: INDEX2
INDEX2

I don't see any way to make this formatting.

Thanks again!

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You need to create an index, and for this you need to insert XE fields. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm. Note that the artist
will be the main index entry (best to include the names last name first,
e.g. "Brooks, Garth"), and the song titles will be subentries.

"Hurger" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There should not be separate entries for the artists, just the songs as
subentries of the artists. If you have entered each song as { XE
Artist:Song }, you should be getting an index that looks like this:

Artist A
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3

Artist B
Song 1
Song 2

Artist C
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3
Song 4

To get the space between artists, add some Spacing Before to the Index 1
styles.

oups.com...
.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You need to create an index, and for this you need to insert XE fields.

See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm. Note that the

artist
will be the main index entry (best to include the names last name first,
e.g. "Brooks, Garth"), and the song titles will be subentries.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hurger" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Armand Armand is offline

Thanks very much for your assistance, Suzanne! I have it all working
now, ALMOST exactly as I want it. Is there anyway to keep the songs
for the artists together (i.e., don't split the songlist for one artist
over two pages). I have tried widows and orphans in the paragraph
setup for Index2 (songs) and for Index1 (artists), but I can't seem to
figure that one out.

I'm also struggling with page numbers, but I think i can figure that
out eventually (getting "Page iii of i" in my index!).

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There should not be separate entries for the artists, just the songs as
subentries of the artists. If you have entered each song as { XE
Artist:Song }, you should be getting an index that looks like this:

Artist A
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3

Artist B
Song 1
Song 2

Artist C
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3
Song 4

To get the space between artists, add some Spacing Before to the Index 1
styles.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You need to create an index, and for this you need to insert XE fields.

See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm. Note that the

artist
will be the main index entry (best to include the names last name first,
e.g. "Brooks, Garth"), and the song titles will be subentries.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hurger" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, there is no "Line and Page Breaks" setting you can use to
keep the subentries together (this is when it would *really* be handy to
have a "Keep with previous" option); the best you can do is lock or unlink
the index and format it manually; naturally, you don't want to do this till
editing is complete.

I don't understand your description of the page number issue unless you are
using a SectionPages field for the Y value and have a section break between
pages ii and iii.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
There should not be separate entries for the artists, just the songs as
subentries of the artists. If you have entered each song as { XE
Artist:Song }, you should be getting an index that looks like this:

Artist A
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3

Artist B
Song 1
Song 2

Artist C
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3
Song 4

To get the space between artists, add some Spacing Before to the Index 1
styles.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You need to create an index, and for this you need to insert XE

fields.
See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm. Note that the

artist
will be the main index entry (best to include the names last name

first,
e.g. "Brooks, Garth"), and the song titles will be subentries.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hurger" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Armand Armand is offline

I'm finding Word has a mind of it's own when it comes to section
breaks! I add a Section Break (Next Page) and then make the index.
Word seemed to add a Section Break (Continuous) and then I get strange
page numbering. It could easily be that I had a stray break in there.
Occasionally, I'd redefine the index and it would wipe out what I had
to recreate it - then all the section breaks were gone, so were my
headers and footers for the first 480 pages of the document!

The section breaks are tied to the header and footers as I'm sure you
are aware (and it makes a little sense that they are). I made sure I
had no header/footer for the index page (and beyond) that were marked
"same as previous". I wiped out the index completely and all of the
section breaks after my last song.

Then, I created a new, next-page section break and created a blank
page. Another next-page section break followed and then I attempted to
recreate the index. The first page of the index showed Page ii of i and
the second page showed Page i of ii and the third page showed Page ii
of ii. Anyway, I got frustrated with it and deleted the page
references. Someday I may return to it, but for now, I'm just leaving
the index without page numbers.

You mention "unlink"ing the index -- is it supposed to linked (like the
TOC with a CTRL-click)? I don't seem to have that and haven't been
able to locate a checkbox to make links.

Thanks,
Armand

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no "Line and Page Breaks" setting you can use to
keep the subentries together (this is when it would *really* be handy to
have a "Keep with previous" option); the best you can do is lock or unlink
the index and format it manually; naturally, you don't want to do this till
editing is complete.

I don't understand your description of the page number issue unless you are
using a SectionPages field for the Y value and have a section break between
pages ii and iii.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have chosen to have more than one column in the index (which is
traditional), Word has to insert a Continuous break where the number of
columns changes. Whenever there are Continuous breaks, there is the
possibility of an inaccessible header/footer where numbering is restarted or
otherwise changed, and this could be part of the problem. If you want the
header/footer in the index to be different from those in the main part of
the document, you need to unlink the headers and footers (by turning off
Same as Previous or Link to Previous on the Header and Footer toolbar. Learn
more about this in http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

No, an index is not hyperlinked as a TOC can be, but it is linked to the XE
fields in your document. If you press Ctrl+Shift+F9, you unlink it from the
data and freeze it in its current state (you can also lock it using
Ctrl+F11); this permits you to format it without worrying that you'll lose
the formatting when the field is updated, but it should be done only when
you no longer need to update it.

ups.com...