Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Ricki Miles Ricki Miles is offline

Default Table of Contents setup

I am using Word 2003. I have created a table of contents using heading
styles. Is there a switch I can use to force the table of contents into two
columns? I manually created the columns and column breaks, but each time
the table is updated, it reverts to one column. I also tried using the
Index in place of the table of contents as it can be done in two columns,
but it can only be done alphabetically as opposed to the order in which
headings appear in the document. Does the Index have a switch to force it
to appear in the order in which it is in the document?

TIA,

Ricki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Insert a two-column section in the document, with one-column paragraphs
before and after the section breaks. Then insert the TOC in the two-column
section, and it will be formatted for two columns automatically.

"Ricki Miles" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have created a table of contents using heading
styles. Is there a switch I can use to force the table of contents into

two
columns? I manually created the columns and column breaks, but each time
the table is updated, it reverts to one column. I also tried using the
Index in place of the table of contents as it can be done in two columns,
but it can only be done alphabetically as opposed to the order in which
headings appear in the document. Does the Index have a switch to force it
to appear in the order in which it is in the document?

TIA,

Ricki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Ricki Miles Ricki Miles is offline

Thanks for your response. I did that, then set the dot leader tab for each
column so page numbers would align, but when I had to update the field, I
lost the tab formatting. Any way to avoid this?

TIA,

Ricki

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Insert a two-column section in the document, with one-column paragraphs
before and after the section breaks. Then insert the TOC in the two-column
section, and it will be formatted for two columns automatically.

so
all may benefit.

"Ricki Miles" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003. I have created a table of contents using heading
styles. Is there a switch I can use to force the table of contents into

two
columns? I manually created the columns and column breaks, but each time
the table is updated, it reverts to one column. I also tried using the
Index in place of the table of contents as it can be done in two columns,
but it can only be done alphabetically as opposed to the order in which
headings appear in the document. Does the Index have a switch to force
it
to appear in the order in which it is in the document?

TIA,

Ricki

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If you insert the TOC *after* creating a two-column section, Word should
automatically position the page numbers (and the corresponding tab stop) in
the correct location.

"Ricki Miles" wrote in message
Thanks for your response. I did that, then set the dot leader tab for

each
column so page numbers would align, but when I had to update the field, I
lost the tab formatting. Any way to avoid this?

TIA,

Ricki

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Insert a two-column section in the document, with one-column paragraphs
before and after the section breaks. Then insert the TOC in the

two-column
section, and it will be formatted for two columns automatically.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.