Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
beckyg beckyg is offline

Default What is the correct grammatical end to a bullet statement

What is the correct way to end a bullet statement? Also, should bullet
statements be capitalized at the beginning? Any other grammatical tips would
be helpful and appreciated! I could not find this information in "help".
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Willett Tom Willett is offline

If it's a complete sentence, I capitalize the first word, and end it with a
period. If it's just a phrase or thought, I don't.

"beckyg" wrote in message
| What is the correct way to end a bullet statement? Also, should bullet
| statements be capitalized at the beginning? Any other grammatical tips
would
| be helpful and appreciated! I could not find this information in "help".

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Becky:

There is no answer in Help, or anywhere else for that matter. At least, not
a definitive, universal answer. Casing and punctuation of bulleted lists is a
style decision. It must be made at each shop. Once made it must be enforced
and applied consistently.

In my shop, we follow these rules (derived from the Chicago Manual of Style):

* Introduce lists with a grammatically complete sentence followed by a colon.

* No item gets a period (or other terminating punctuation) unless one or
more items is a complete sentence, in which case each item gets terminating
punctuation.

* Items in a list should be syntactically similar.

* All items begin with a captial letter. [Here we deviate from CMS.]

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000