Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert M. Gary Robert M. Gary is offline

Default Colro boxes in template

I've noticed that most very professional looking templates will include
a box with a fill-effect color through it either across the top or
alone the margin of the document. What is the technical name for this
technique (i.e. what do they call it in a marketing class, something
other than "color boxes")? Also can anyone recommend a site that talks
about techniques to create professional looking templates. I'm not
looking for the technical side, but from the artistic side. What colors
to use for what situations, where to apply colors, etc. How to add
emphasis to tables, etc. Is there a word for what I'm asking for?

-Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think what you're asking would come under the general heading of "graphic
design." There may well be some specific name for the "color boxes," but I
don't know what it is. Not being a graphic artist or designer, I can't help
any more than that, but you might look at
http://office.microsoft.com/templates/default.aspx? for examples of
attractive layout and design. I don't necessarily recommend any of these
templates on the basis of how well they work (often they are very difficult
for novice users to adapt), but most of them are reasonably nice looking.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've noticed that most very professional looking templates will include
a box with a fill-effect color through it either across the top or
alone the margin of the document. What is the technical name for this
technique (i.e. what do they call it in a marketing class, something
other than "color boxes")? Also can anyone recommend a site that talks
about techniques to create professional looking templates. I'm not
looking for the technical side, but from the artistic side. What colors
to use for what situations, where to apply colors, etc. How to add
emphasis to tables, etc. Is there a word for what I'm asking for?

-Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I think what you're asking would come under the general heading of "graphic
design." There may well be some specific name for the "color boxes," but I
don't know what it is. Not being a graphic artist or designer, I can't help
any more than that, but you might look at
http://office.microsoft.com/templates/default.aspx? for examples of
attractive layout and design. I don't necessarily recommend any of these
templates on the basis of how well they work (often they are very difficult
for novice users to adapt), but most of them are reasonably nice looking.

Thanks Suzanne. I also noticed that you cleverly made most of the
templates require Office 2007

-Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It may appear that way; perhaps the Office 2007 ones are currently sorting
to the top. But there are plenty for earlier versions, and you can search
for templates for a specific version (and FWIW I had nothing to do with any
of them).

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...