Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Kelly Dan Kelly is offline

Default Numbering Style in templates

I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the toolbar I get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There is no way to set a default numbering format in Word. Instead,
you should link numbering to styles, save as a template (*.dot file)
and then create documents based on that template whenever you want to
re-use the numbering. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

For more on templates and styles, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dan Kelly" wrote in message
I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a way

to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the toolbar I

get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Kelly Dan Kelly is offline

Whilst the linked file is very helpful it concentrates on numbered headers.

The style I want to define (and it is on a template) is standard numbered
lists within the Normal body of my document.

For example a user having just typed a paragraph of text clicks on the
Numbered List button and gets an indented "1." in exactly the same format as
the previous paragraph.

If I try and define Numbering in the Normal template I get a number before
every pararaph.

My headings on the other hand are not designed to be numbered.

Dan

"Dan Kelly" wrote in message
I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a way

to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the toolbar I

get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Try applying the List Number style to paragraphs you want numbered. You can
also create a numbered style from scratch or apply numbering to any style.
See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html.

news

"Dan Kelly" wrote in message
I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a way

to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the toolbar I

get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Suzanne suggested the List Number style. To get outline numbering, you
can use all of the styles in the List Number series, attached to the
same numbering scheme. The method is similar to that of creating
heading numbering (meaning that the techniques at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html can be
applied).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Dan Kelly" wrote in message
I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a

way
to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the

template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the

toolbar I
get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dan Kelly Dan Kelly is offline

Let me get this straight.

There is no way to select which Outline Numbered format is used when I click
the "Numbering" button on the toolbar when writing in a Normal style?

The only way that I can choose which format to use is to set up an
appropriate style and have my users select that _after_ they have clicked the
button?

Sounds crazy!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Suzanne suggested the List Number style. To get outline numbering, you
can use all of the styles in the List Number series, attached to the
same numbering scheme. The method is similar to that of creating
heading numbering (meaning that the techniques at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html can be
applied).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Dan Kelly" wrote in message
I seem to be being blind, but I cannot for the life of me find a

way
to set
the required format for Outline Numbered lists in Word.

Every time I try and select 1.1.1, etc as the style in the

template
(Format/Styles) when I try and activate the style from the

toolbar I
get the
1, a, i style instead

Any tips?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, as I wrote in my initial response, you cannot specify a default
numbering format. Actually, the Numbering button applies the most
recent format chosen, which means that it could give you anything,
depending on the settings of the computer where the document is
edited. (For all the scary details, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm.)

That's why we recommend using styles *instead of* the toolbar button.
However, to make it easier on your users, you can create a custom
toolbar button and have it apply the appropriate style.

After a style that is part of an outline list has been applied, you
can use Tab and Shift+Tab at the beginning of paragraphs (or
Alt+Shift+Left arrow/Right arrow) to change numbering levels.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Suzanne suggested the List Number style. To get outline numbering,

you
can use all of the styles in the List Number series, attached to

the
same numbering scheme. The method is similar to that of creating
heading numbering (meaning that the techniques at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

can be
applied).

--