Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TW Lawrence

Default How do I reduce header to 2 lines from 6 in Word?

Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a single page
document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

File | Page Setup | Layout | Headers and Footers - then make your changes.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"TW Lawrence" wrote:

Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a single page
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The size of the header is determined by two settings. The Header margin
(File | Page Setup | Layout) determines where the top of the header is. The
Top margin (File | Page Setup | Margins) determines where the document body
ordinarily begins. The space between the header margin and the top margin is
the space usually allocated for a header. But a header can grow to be as
deep as is needed (in the case of a letterhead in a First Page Header, for
example) and will push the document body down.

If you want to allow more space on the page, you can reduce the top and
bottom margins; when you do that, you may also want to reduce the header and
footer margins if your header and footer contain text, to ensure that there
will be some space between the header/footer and the top/bottom of the
document. If you will not have any text in the header or footer, you can
reduce the header and footer margins to 0" and make your top and bottom
margins as small as your printer's printable area will permit.

If your header is taking up more space than its content seems to warrant
(based on the Header and Top margin settings), it may well be that it
contains empty paragraphs or Space Before/After formatting. It is easier to
troubleshoot this if you display nonprinting characters (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm). You will see each
paragraph represented by a paragraph mark (¶). Delete any extra ones.

"TW Lawrence" TW wrote in message
Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a single page
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fishcad fishcad is offline

What would cause you to be unable to delete the extra paragraphs? I also
seem to have 2 boxes. One is a dotted line that is labelled "Footer -
section 1" and the other appears to be a table with the little "sun" symbols
you find in tables.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To delete the table you'll need to use Cut or Table | Delete | Table.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"TW Lawrence" TW wrote in message
Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a single

page
document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ahimsa ahimsa is offline

I have 1.2" of extra (blank) space in my header; there are no hidden
characters to account for the blank space. How can I change the dimensions of
the header 'box'?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

SHIFT+F1 or format style with the cursor in the relevant paragraph.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"TW Lawrence" TW wrote in
message ...
Header takes up too much room at top of page.

How do I reduce size of "Header box" so I can fir more onto a
single page document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Format | Paragraph and look for Spacing Before/After. Also, display
nonprinting characters (Ctrl+*) to see if there are extra, empty paragraphs.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you examined the formatting of the header paragraph(s) to see if
there
is any Spacing After?

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jaxon Ames[_2_] Jaxon Ames[_2_] is offline

Graham,

I checked the formatting and the spacing after paragraphs was set to "0", so
I really don't know what is going on. Also, I have checked for invisible
paragraph markers and there are none. Every time I open up word there is a
6" header, and Word didn't do that until I opened up a document that had
those settings... now it does it every time. Please let me know if there is
anything else I can do... I have done everything that Office Online has
suggested with tutorials and such.