Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default TOC Layout question

Hi all,

I'm working on a template that was designed with bookmarks orginally. I
would like to automate the table, layout shown below:

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Item 1 6. Item 6
2. Item 2 7. Item 7
3. Item 3 8. Item 8
4. Item 4 9. Item 9
5. Item 5

Can Word build & update in the above layout?
Can Word update a manually built TOC in the above layout?

I'm admittedly more familiar with Excel than Word, but after reviewing
what's available on the web, it appears that I may have to go with a
VBA solution. I'm cool with that, but not sure where to start.

Cheers,
Lillian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Thanks Suzanne -

I am saying I want the TOC to be in two columns. I'll give it a shot
tomorrow.

Regards,
Lillian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Just be aware that unless you have a two-column section already set up, you
haven't a hope that the right-aligned tab stop for the page numbers will be
in the right place. There's still a chance it won't be anyway (though a
limited test here seems to indicate that it works as desired); you may have
to modify the TOC styles to move it. But the rest should work okay.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Suzanne -

I am saying I want the TOC to be in two columns. I'll give it a shot
tomorrow.

Regards,
Lillian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yep, keeps putting all of the content into two columns. How would the
toc style require changing, though?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I assumed that when you created the two-column section for your TOC you
would understand that you must have section breaks before and after the TOC.
Insert a Continuous or Next Page (as appropriate) break before and another
after the TOC and then set the preceding and following sections to one
column.

oups.com...