Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs,microsoft.public.word.newusers
sid derra sid derra is offline

Default Word 2002 - slow with large documents

I am writing a thesis at the moment, which is a word file (Word 2002, winXP
home) with 116 pages at the moment. The file size is about 10.5mb, it
contains plenty of Excel objects and bookmarks. So far so good - now, here
comes my problem:

So far i worked on this file at my desktop (2.6ghz dual core, 2gb ram)
without major problems. Now I just had to go to Europe for a couple of
months and thus have to finish the paper on my notebook. It's a 1.4ghz
Celeron with 512mb ram on winXP home as well (same Word version).
I still have about 30 pages to go, but it's almost impossible to add new
text to that file, as the typed content will not appear on the screen until
several seconds after the text was typed. This is super annoying and I just
wondered if there was anyone out there who has any ideas on how to speed up
word on my current system again, while editing this file. I mean, the
notebook is not the newest on the block, but not AS outdated yet either. I
just wonder if there are any options that are known to slow down Word
considerably and can be turned off for the time i work on this file.
(Something like real time spell check maybe? I tried to turn this option off
already, without any noticeable effect.).

Thanks a whole bunch in advance!
sid