Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
speechy speechy is offline

Default I held down my shift key, filter keys came on. How do I stop it?

I was typing a Word document. I lost my train of thought and held down the
Shift key for several seconds. A message box appeared that said something
about "Filter Keys". I didn't know what that meant. Now, in order to type,
I must first hold down my Shift key for 8 seconds or else the curser just
blinks but does not allow me to type. I cannot figure out how to go back to
just being able to type without first holding down the Shift key!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Tapping a shift key 5 times is the default to turn on Sticky keys feature, holding the Shift key for 8 seconds is the default for
FilterKeys.

Disabling both features can be done through the Accessibility options in the Windows control panel.

=================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

speechy wrote:
I was typing a Word document. I lost my train of thought and held
down the Shift key for several seconds. A message box appeared that
said something about "Filter Keys". I didn't know what that meant.
Now, in order to type, I must first hold down my Shift key for 8
seconds or else the curser just blinks but does not allow me to
type. I cannot figure out how to go back to just being able to type
without first holding down the Shift key!

Go to Start menu Settings Control Panel Accessibility Options. Uncheck
the "Use FilterKeys" box.

To avoid this happening again, also click the Settings button for FilterKeys
and uncheck the "Use shortcut" box.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman