Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jerry100.0 Jerry100.0 is offline

Default Cannot open Word 2000

I had to reinstall Word 2000 and now it will not open normally. It will open
when I use startrunwinword /a . When I try a normal opening with the menu
icon, I get Word banner and then white screen. When I look at Task Manager it
shows two copies of Word apparently trying to open at once. This all started
when I "tried" Office 2007 Home & Student, did like like it and unistalled
it. Then reinstalled Office 2000. Excel, Publisher, Outlook etc. all work
fine. Word does not!
--
Jerry P

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jerry100.0 Jerry100.0 is offline

So far no improvement. I even uninstalled everything related and used
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Then reinstalled everything. I removed
all normal.dot files. I have no Norton Software ( I even used Norton's
Cleanup software). I do not quite understand "startup path". The Word
startup folder is empty. The path is C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GERALD
PINSKY\APPLICATION DATA\MICROSOFT\WORD\STARTUP .
--
Jerry P

"Jerry100.0" wrote in message
I had to reinstall Word 2000 and now it will not open normally. It will
open
when I use startrunwinword /a . When I try a normal opening with the
menu
icon, I get Word banner and then white screen. When I look at Task Manager
it
shows two copies of Word apparently trying to open at once. This all
started
when I "tried" Office 2007 Home & Student, did like like it and unistalled
it. Then reinstalled Office 2000. Excel, Publisher, Outlook etc. all
work
fine. Word does not!
--
Jerry P

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jerry100.0 Jerry100.0 is offline

I also removed the registry keys indicated in the instruction. No change. I
have an opportunity to perchase a new copy of Office 2003, but it will
probably be a waste of money if this problem cannot be solved.
--
Jerry P

"Jerry100.0" wrote in message
I had to reinstall Word 2000 and now it will not open normally. It will
open
when I use startrunwinword /a . When I try a normal opening with the
menu
icon, I get Word banner and then white screen. When I look at Task Manager
it
shows two copies of Word apparently trying to open at once. This all
started
when I "tried" Office 2007 Home & Student, did like like it and unistalled
it. Then reinstalled Office 2000. Excel, Publisher, Outlook etc. all
work
fine. Word does not!
--
Jerry P

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If it will startup in its safe mode (the A switch) then the problem is
related to the associated personalisations - in order of likelihood
1. The normal template (rename or delete normal.dot from the user templates
folder)
2. Addins (remove any add-ins present)
3. The data key in the registry (delete or rename the data key for Word 9.0)
4. The printer driver.(Reinstall and/or update the printer driver)

Ensure there are no orphan temporary files
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm and repair Word using
setup on the installation disc before restarting.

What is it that you don't understand about the startup folders? Word makes
use of two startup folders and both are covered in the linked page

Jerry100.0 wrote:
So far no improvement. I even uninstalled everything related and used
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Then reinstalled everything. I
removed all normal.dot files. I have no Norton Software ( I even
used Norton's Cleanup software). I do not quite understand "startup
path". The Word startup folder is empty. The path is C:\DOCUMENTS
AND SETTINGS\GERALD PINSKY\APPLICATION DATA\MICROSOFT\WORD\STARTUP .

See