Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJSharp PJSharp is offline

Default Folder titles change color

My folder and document titles have changed color. What controls this? I use
Word 2003. I see this also in Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJSharp PJSharp is offline

OK, I'm replying to myself. My question has evolved. I see from another
question "Black vs. Blue .doc titles" in a reply from Amedee Van Gasse that
this could be / is a function of the NTFS file system. Below is a cut and
paste of the answer. I'd still like to know how to get this turned OFF, or
change the color because it's one of those things that is going to drive me
MAD...I don't even know what the NTFS file system is.

"It won't hurt, the compression has nothing to do with Word, it is a
feature of the NTFS filesystem and is completely transparant for all
aplications. Compression/decompression happens "on the fly". If you
copy the file to a medium that is uncompressable (like a FAT
filesystem) it is instantly decompressed.
Your computer is just trying to help you, trying to create a balance
between uncompressed files (a bit faster) and compressed files (a bit
smaller).

As a rule of thumb, files that you don't need very often (once or twice
per month or so) could be compressed, and files you need on a dayly
basis shouldn't be. To all rules there are exceptions. ;-) "

"PJSharp" wrote:

My folder and document titles have changed color. What controls this? I use
Word 2003. I see this also in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Windows Help and Support, search for "file compression." Note that you
can set the properties for any given folders to control whether files are
compressed or not. Note that this is not a Word issue.

"PJSharp" wrote:

My folder and document titles have changed color. What controls this? I
use
Word 2003. I see this also in Excel.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJSharp PJSharp is offline

Excellent!! Thank you so much; I had been looking on the Word properties, not
Windows properties. I was able to uncompress the file I currently work in.

Ideally, I'd just like to change the color of that designation, that color
drives me mad. I'm sure I'll never get that to happen, but can you tell me
who handles this NTFS file system? Is that a MicroSoft feature?