Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Default Macro help

I absolutely love learning how to use wildcard searches, and here's what I'm
trying to do:

There are times when I like to skip through certain parts of a document
sentence by sentence. So far the following search has yielded great results
for sentences ending in a period followed by one or two spaces or a paragraph
mark:

.[ {1,2}^13]

However, nothing I try to do with sentences ending in a question mark or
exclamation point seems to work. I tried putting a backslash before them but
that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks soooooo much for being there. You wonderful people have taught me
practically all I know!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Try again, using the expressions

\?[ {1,2}^13]
\![ {1,2}^13]

or, for everything together,

[.\?\!][ {1,2}^13]

They work for me.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Noticing that the subject line mentions "macro", here's a macro that
goes to the next occurrence:

Sub NextSent()
Dim oRg As Range
Set oRg = ActiveDocument.Range _
(Start:=Selection.Range.End, _
End:=ActiveDocument.Range.End)
With oRg.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Text = "[.\?\!][ {1,2}^13]"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindStop
.Format = False
.MatchWildcards = True
If .Execute Then
oRg.Select
End If
End With
End Sub

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

I absolutely love learning how to use wildcard searches, and here's what I'm
trying to do:

There are times when I like to skip through certain parts of a document
sentence by sentence. So far the following search has yielded great results
for sentences ending in a period followed by one or two spaces or a paragraph
mark:

.[ {1,2}^13]

However, nothing I try to do with sentences ending in a question mark or
exclamation point seems to work. I tried putting a backslash before them but
that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks soooooo much for being there. You wonderful people have taught me
practically all I know!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl Island Girl is offline

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jay! As usual, you just made my life easier
and my work much more exciting! (I know, I know! Most people would laugh if
I told them that anything about word processing was exciting!)

wrote:

I absolutely love learning how to use wildcard searches, and here's what I'm
trying to do:

There are times when I like to skip through certain parts of a document
sentence by sentence. So far the following search has yielded great results
for sentences ending in a period followed by one or two spaces or a paragraph
mark:

.[ {1,2}^13]

However, nothing I try to do with sentences ending in a question mark or
exclamation point seems to work. I tried putting a backslash before them but
that didn't work either. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks soooooo much for being there. You wonderful people have taught me
practically all I know!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
aalaan aalaan is offline

That's what I like to hear G.