Peter Barrett

Default Inconsistent Conversion of Adobe Reader text into Word

I have Adobe Reader 7.0 and Word 2002.

For some Adobe documents I am able to cut and paste from Adobe documents and
edit the resultant text in word. For other Adobe documents, when I paste in
Word - all I get is illegible "control characters"/ "gibberish" on the screen.

Why the inconsistency? Both Adobe files allow "Content Copying or
Extraction" on the Security Tab of the Document Properties.

How can I consistently cut and paste form Adobe documents?

I would really like to get to the bottom of this - as it will potentially
save me lots of time.

Thanks for any advice.

Peter
Opinicus

"Peter Barrett"

For some Adobe documents I am able to cut and paste from
Adobe documents and
edit the resultant text in word. For other Adobe
documents, when I paste in
Word - all I get is illegible "control characters"/
"gibberish" on the screen.

Why the inconsistency?

It probably has to do wýth Unicode vs non-Unicode fonts and
also whether or not the fonts are embedded in the PDF
document.

If you're not trying to carry formatting, pictures, etc over
into Word, try copying the Adobe text into a text editor
like WordPad first and then copy that into Word.

If you're into industrial-strength Adobe to Word conversion
(I am) you might consider the ABC Amber PDF Converter:

http://www.thebeatlesforever.com/pro...xt/abcpdf.html

It's pretty good even though it chokes on certain Turkish
characters: at least it chokes on them in a consistent
manner.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Peter Barrett

Bob

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the trial version and had some
success with some PDF documents - but no success at all with the main PDF
document that I am working on.

I have e-mailed the ABC Amber people and await their advice?

Do you have any further thoughts?

Thanks for your interest.

Peter

"Opinicus" wrote:

"Peter Barrett"

For some Adobe documents I am able to cut and paste from
Adobe documents and
edit the resultant text in word. For other Adobe
documents, when I paste in
Word - all I get is illegible "control characters"/
"gibberish" on the screen.

Why the inconsistency?

It probably has to do wıth Unicode vs non-Unicode fonts and