Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clive[_2_] Clive[_2_] is offline

Default Move ribbon to the side

Can I move the ribbon from the top to the side?
At a time when laptops / PCs are going widescreen it is inconvenient to lose
usable height when there is spare width.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can however minimize the ribbon and customize the Quick Access Toolbar
so that it has most if not all of the buttons on it that you will need.

I agree with you however that much better use could be made of the space on
the left and right of the screen.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Clive" wrote in message
Can I move the ribbon from the top to the side?
At a time when laptops / PCs are going widescreen it is inconvenient to
lose
usable height when there is spare width.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clive[_2_] Clive[_2_] is offline

Thanks to you both.

Perhaps Microsoft will improve on this in a Service Pack. Having just paid
to move to 2007 I'd hate to have to wait till the next chargeable release to
improve this feature.

"Clive" wrote in message
Can I move the ribbon from the top to the side?
At a time when laptops / PCs are going widescreen it is inconvenient to
lose
usable height when there is spare width.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q2xpdmU=?=,

Perhaps Microsoft will improve on this in a Service Pack. Having just paid
to move to 2007 I'd hate to have to wait till the next chargeable release to
improve this feature.

I doubt anything will be changed in a Service Pack...

About the only thing you can do would be to get an Add-in, such as
ToolbarToggle, that will let you create your own "toolbars". (They aren't
really toolbars, but you can use them in a very similar way - including
positioning them where ever you need them.) Then you could put commands you
need for certain tasks, or that you always want on the side, on such a toolbar.

Http://www.toolbartoggle.com

You can get a 5% discount by using the coupon code: MVPCINDY

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PE[_2_] PE[_2_] is offline

We just got a home PC with the appalling Ribbon. Looks like AmiPro 1996,
with symbols for the bewildered. A total and absolute waste of space on
screen - it should be moved to the side.

When it's possible under Windows 95 to move the windows and the program bars
to the side in order to free up vertical space, this is a move backwards.
It'll get to the stage that the amount of visible text will be the same as in
a typewriter.

Julie Delaney Julie Delaney is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
No, the ribbon can't be moved.

"Clive" wrote in message
Can I move the ribbon from the top to the side?
At a time when laptops / PCs are going widescreen it is inconvenient to

lose
usable height when there is spare width.
This is quite disappointing the ribbon cannot be moved to either the left or right side just as Clive has stated. There is so much wasted space on the wider screen sides and harder to see what I'm working on when using multiple programs simultaneously. I do wonder if enough people stated their frustration would Microsoft reconsider this necessary? And if that's the case, could someone advise me on the proper channel to provide such information from users?