Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pj[_2_] pj[_2_] is offline

Default Line between columns shows in Text Box

My document is formatted in 2 columns with a line between.

When I create a Text Box, Layout "Tight", that spans the column line, the
line shows through the Box.

If I format the box Layout "Top and Bottom" or "Through" the line does not
show but, of course, the text does not flow round the box.

Is there any way I can achieve both not seeing the column line through the
box and having text flow round the box?

I'm using Word 2002 SP3.

Thanks, Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Dan,

Use Square instead of Tight. For a rectangle, the resulting text wrapping is
the same (Tight is different if the shape isn't rectangular, but all text
boxes must be rectangles).

There's something here that looks like a weird bug. If I format the text box
as In Front of Text and then change it to Square, I get the effect you want.
If I try to go directly from Tight to Square, the line continues to show
through.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

pj wrote:
My document is formatted in 2 columns with a line between.

When I create a Text Box, Layout "Tight", that spans the column line,
the line shows through the Box.

If I format the box Layout "Top and Bottom" or "Through" the line
does not show but, of course, the text does not flow round the box.

Is there any way I can achieve both not seeing the column line
through the box and having text flow round the box?

I'm using Word 2002 SP3.

Thanks, Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pj[_2_] pj[_2_] is offline

Jay

I don't know how you discovered this 'feature' but it's exactly the solution
to my problem.

Very many thanks,

Dan

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Hi Dan,

Use Square instead of Tight. For a rectangle, the resulting text wrapping
is the same (Tight is different if the shape isn't rectangular, but all
text boxes must be rectangles).

There's something here that looks like a weird bug. If I format the text
box as In Front of Text and then change it to Square, I get the effect you
want. If I try to go directly from Tight to Square, the line continues to
show through.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

pj wrote:
My document is formatted in 2 columns with a line between.

When I create a Text Box, Layout "Tight", that spans the column line,
the line shows through the Box.

If I format the box Layout "Top and Bottom" or "Through" the line
does not show but, of course, the text does not flow round the box.

Is there any way I can achieve both not seeing the column line
through the box and having text flow round the box?

I'm using Word 2002 SP3.

Thanks, Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Why not just apply a white Fill to the text box?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/20/07 1:44 PM, in article , "pj"
wrote:

Jay

I don't know how you discovered this 'feature' but it's exactly the solution
to my problem.

Very many thanks,

Dan

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Hi Dan,

Use Square instead of Tight. For a rectangle, the resulting text wrapping
is the same (Tight is different if the shape isn't rectangular, but all
text boxes must be rectangles).

There's something here that looks like a weird bug. If I format the text
box as In Front of Text and then change it to Square, I get the effect you
want. If I try to go directly from Tight to Square, the line continues to
show through.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org
so all may benefit.

pj wrote:
My document is formatted in 2 columns with a line between.

When I create a Text Box, Layout "Tight", that spans the column line,
the line shows through the Box.

If I format the box Layout "Top and Bottom" or "Through" the line
does not show but, of course, the text does not flow round the box.

Is there any way I can achieve both not seeing the column line
through the box and having text flow round the box?

I'm using Word 2002 SP3.

Thanks, Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Bug city. Tried that... the Tight setting ignores it. And if you go
from Tight to Square, that one ignores it too.

pj wrote:
My document is formatted in 2 columns with a line between.

When I create a Text Box, Layout "Tight", that spans the column line,
the line shows through the Box.

If I format the box Layout "Top and Bottom" or "Through" the line
does not show but, of course, the text does not flow round the box.

Is there any way I can achieve both not seeing the column line
through the box and having text flow round the box?

I'm using Word 2002 SP3.

Thanks, Dan

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

But (in 2003 at least) you can set the Text Wrapping to Tight, then rt-click
the edge of the box & choose Order Bring In Front of Text. However, if you
change the Text Wrapping then change it back to Tight you have to reset the
Order as well.

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

[...]