Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Default Page # Fields Not Updating (when they are in body of doc vs Header

Aside from having fields update before printing, how can the page # fields
update when they are used in the body of a document. For example, if you use
Page X of Y, and you have multiple pages, the #'s do not update if the fields
are used outside of the header/footer. I know you can use F9 to manually
update, but how can I get them to auto update as they do in the header/footer?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Frank,

Aside from having fields update before printing, how can the page # fields
update when they are used in the body of a document. For example, if you use
Page X of Y, and you have multiple pages, the #'s do not update if the fields
are used outside of the header/footer. I know you can use F9 to manually
update, but how can I get them to auto update as they do in the header/footer?

Aside from F9, there's no way to force Word to change how/when fields are
updated. This article describes, more or less, how field updating works in Word

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=330079

You can probably get these fields to update by switching views (into/out of
print preview or Normal view).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank Frank is offline

Default Page # Fields Not Updating (when they are in body of doc vs He

Thank you Cindy. Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. Anyone
have some additional ideas?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Frank,

Aside from having fields update before printing, how can the page # fields
update when they are used in the body of a document. For example, if you use
Page X of Y, and you have multiple pages, the #'s do not update if the fields
are used outside of the header/footer. I know you can use F9 to manually
update, but how can I get them to auto update as they do in the header/footer?

Aside from F9, there's no way to force Word to change how/when fields are
updated. This article describes, more or less, how field updating works in Word

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=330079

You can probably get these fields to update by switching views (into/out of
print preview or Normal view).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you saying that the PAGE fields do not update even if you switch to
Print Preview and back to your current view?

Note that if you are trying to place page numbers so that they appear to be
outside of the header/footer area, you can do that by inserting the PAGE
field in a text box (or frame) anchored to the header paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Frank" wrote in message
Thank you Cindy. Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. Anyone
have some additional ideas?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Frank,

[...]

reply