Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Bradley C. Hammerstrom

Default Ideas for macro to add row for count and percentage

Word2000

Here is a puzzle:

I write the same type of document repeatedly. I paste dozens and dozens of
tables into the document from Access. I don't need to modify the
tables--they are fine. Each table is basically the same--two columns of
addresses side by side. One list is always longer than the other (i.e.,
blank cells at the bottom of the short list). I need to compare the two
columns by counting addresses and calculating the percentage of the short
one to the long one.

I realize how to manually do this with stated cell ranges--or even a
spreadsheet inserted, but I have hundreds to do and I need an automated way
of doing this.

Presently, I accomplish this by putting my cursor at the bottom of the list
and running a macro that enters {=Count(Above)-1}. The 'minus one' subtracts
the column header from the count. This is fine, except for longer lists
where I want the total count to appear at the top of the table, rather than
at the bottom--on the next page. Then I type the counts and percentage in a
text line above the table (using a calculator to figure the ratio!).

The ultimate in speed and ease would be: 1) paste the table, 2) run a macro
that enters a formula field in each column header and enters another field
to calculate the percentage--oh, and it would not count the blank cells at
the bottom of the short list!

That last part is the kicker since Count(below) will not ignore the blank
cells. Is there something I can put in the first blank cell below the last
entry in the short list that will 'stop' the count formula? Or can I put the
Count(above)-1 field in that first blank row and have a field in the column
header restate the count found in that cell? (without manually referring to
it, like a25)?

I need something cleaver, I believe. Any other ideas?

Brad H.