David Sayer

Default Appendix Numbering in TOC

I have a large (300+ pages) document and after a bit of trial and error I
have modified Heading Style 6 and 7 to use for appendicies style 1 & 2 Not
much of the original style left, but still allows me to include the chapter
number for things like labelling figures and tables. I have customised the
outline numbering for style 6, the level is still 6, but the number format is
now A1 (I added the A in front of the 1).

My headings are therefore along the lines of:
A1 First Appendix (style 6)
A1.1 First bit (style 7)
A1.2 Second bit (style 7)
A2 Second Appendix (style 6)
and so on.

Then for the appendix headers I have the page number (including chapter
number), I have then had to add the "A" bit in front to give Page numbers
A1-1, A1-2, A1-3 (in Appendix A1) and A2-1, A2-2, A2-3 (in Appendix 2) etc
etc. The "A" bit of course is not shown in grey as its not an updated field.

The problem comes when I create a Table of Contents..... Although if I
include up to style 6 it created the main table ok, the page numbers on the
right of the Table of Contents only show the 1-1, 1-2,1-3 etc bit, the "A"
has been omitted.

Any ideas? - I suspect this links right back to the outline numbering of the
style having to add the "A" manually. Any way to create a custom outline
numbering format? I can update all the Appendix TOC fields at the end by
manually adding the "A", but then I can only update the page numbers as any
changes to the whole TOC will remove the "A"'s again!!!!!

Please help

FWIW, appendixes are usually "numbered" alphabetically. If you use A, B, C
numbering for your appendixes, then you'll have the following pattern (which
will be picked up by the TOC):

A First Appendix (style 6)
A.1 First bit (style 7)
A.2 Second bit (style 7)