Print Page # On Merged Report

Default page number printing on a merged report

Created a MS Word Merge report using an MS Word and MS Excel document. The MS
Word field data fields came off of the MS Excel data file. To fill the data
on one MS Word report page it took 1.5 pages of MS Word (because of line
wraparound due to length of field names).

I tried many techniques of printing page numbers on the MS Word report but
all it prints is page # 1 when there is more than 1 page to be printed. I
tried { PAGE }, then tried right mouse button update field for { PAGE },
then tried header/footer, then other techniques but nothing worked.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Please send suggestions to
Doug Robbins

When you execute the merge to a new document, how many pages are there in
that document for each record in the data source. If there is only one,
then each page will be numbered 1 by design as with a formletter type
mailmerge, it is natural for the numbering of each letter created by the
merge to be independent of the other letters. If you want the numbering to
be continuous through the whole of the document created by the mailmerge
execution, then you need to use a catalog (or in Word XP and later, it is
called directory) type mailmerge main document. If you want the information
for each record to start on a new page, then you need to format the first
paragraph in the main document so that it has a page break before it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Print Page # On Merged Report" Print Page # On Merged
wrote in message
Created a MS Word Merge report using an MS Word and MS Excel document. The
MS
Word field data fields came off of the MS Excel data file. To fill the
data
on one MS Word report page it took 1.5 pages of MS Word (because of line
wraparound due to length of field names).

I tried many techniques of printing page numbers on the MS Word report but
all it prints is page # 1 when there is more than 1 page to be printed. I
tried { PAGE }, then tried right mouse button update field for { PAGE },
then tried header/footer, then other techniques but nothing worked.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Please send suggestions to

Print Page # On Merged Report

Doug, my report prints 15 records to a page. There are usually over 200
records in the file.
I want the numbering to be continuous through the whole of the document
created by the mailmerge execution. You indicate that I need to use "a
catalog (or in Word XP and later, it is called directory) type mailmerge main
document." Can you be more specific. I do not understand what you mean?

MichaelB

wrote in message
Created a MS Word Merge report using an MS Word and MS Excel document. The
MS
Word field data fields came off of the MS Excel data file. To fill the
data
on one MS Word report page it took 1.5 pages of MS Word (because of line
wraparound due to length of field names).

I tried many techniques of printing page numbers on the MS Word report but
all it prints is page # 1 when there is more than 1 page to be printed. I
tried { PAGE }, then tried right mouse button update field for { PAGE },
then tried header/footer, then other techniques but nothing worked.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Please send suggestions to

Doug Robbins

So if you want to produce a single document containing 3,000 pages (15 x
200), set up (or change) the main document type from Form Letters to Catalog
(if you are using Word 2000 or earlier) or from Letters to Directory (if you
are using Word XP or later. Apart from the type of mailmerge main document,
the set up of it (i.e. arrangement of text and mergefields) will be
identical.

The only difference between the two types of documents is that a Form Letter
or Letter type mailmerge when executed, creates a document that contains a
Section for each record in the data source and the numbering in the Sections
is formatted to start from 1 at the beginning of each Section. In the
Catalog or Directory case, there is only one Section in the document, so
that the numbering is continuous throughout the document.

If you want the section of the report pertaining to each record to start on
a new page, format the first paragraph in the mail merge main document so
that if has a page break before it (FormatParagraphLine and Page Breaks)

In the header or footer of the document, insert a { PAGE } field if you want
just the page numbers, or { PAGE } of { NUMPAGES } fields if you want
numbers such as 1 of 3000, 2 of 3000.

--

wrote in message
Created a MS Word Merge report using an MS Word and MS Excel document.
The
MS
Word field data fields came off of the MS Excel data file. To fill the
data
on one MS Word report page it took 1.5 pages of MS Word (because of
line
wraparound due to length of field names).

I tried many techniques of printing page numbers on the MS Word report
but
all it prints is page # 1 when there is more than 1 page to be printed.
tried { PAGE }, then tried right mouse button update field for {
PAGE },
then tried header/footer, then other techniques but nothing worked.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Please send suggestions to

Print Page # On Merged Report

I appreciate any and all responses and try them out.

The proposed fix of changing the merge from Letters to a Directory "Main
Document Setup Type" does not work. An error message "Cannot send catalog
created by merging documents directly to mail, fax, or printer" appears when
you select the merge to printer icon. The page number sequence was placed in
the Header and in the Footer. If you try the page numbering scheme in the
Letters "Main Document Setup Type" merge, it indicates page 1 of 1 on each
page.

My Operating System is XP and the application I use is Microsoft Office 2003.

Note: Each output merged page contains 15 different records. Each record has
5 merged fields on a record. There are about 200 different records in the
Excel file that is read and placed on the merged report. Each of the 15
lines ends with Next record except the 15th record for it does not have
Next Record. I tried it with the Next Record on the last record on
the page and get the same results. The report prints correctly except for
page numbering.

Still looking for a solution,

MichaelB
====

wrote in message
Created a MS Word Merge report using an MS Word and MS Excel document.
The
MS
Word field data fields came off of the MS Excel data file. To fill the
data
on one MS Word report page it took 1.5 pages of MS Word (because of
line
wraparound due to length of field names).

I tried many techniques of printing page numbers on the MS Word report
but
all it prints is page # 1 when there is more than 1 page to be printed.
tried { PAGE }, then tried right mouse button update field for {
PAGE },
then tried header/footer, then other techniques but nothing worked.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Please send suggestions to

Doug Robbins

Did you try and execute the directory merge to a new document?

What else is in you mailmerge main document other than the 15 x 5
mergefields. Sounds like you could just have 1 set of the 5 mergefields in
a directory type mailmerge main document as when you execute such a merge to
a new document, you would get a document containing the data from each of
those merge fields for each record in the data source.

If you give complete details of what you are trying to achieve, I am sure
that we can tell you how to go about it.

--

wrote in message
[...]

Print Page # On Merged Report

I tried Merge to New Document many times before and it always worked but I
always thought I needed to do Merge To Printer to get what I thought to be a
final output. Seems MS Word Merge might have a flaw in it because Merge to
New Document does not give the same results as Merge to Printer or perhaps
the error message is telling us to do something else like Merge to New
Document (and if so the error message should state to try Merge To New
Document). Merge to printer always gave the error message "cannot send
catalog created by merging documents directly to mail, fax, or printer".

Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it. I should have not tried to
Merge to Printer but just left it as Merge to New Document.