Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Word perfected Word perfected is offline

Default How do I make the th small for 9th?

When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and up to
the right of the number?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ronald Roberts Ronald Roberts is offline

Word perfected wrote:

When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and up to
the right of the number?

Tools/AutoCorrect Options

Tab AutoFormat

Check "Ordinals (1ST) with superscript".

Ron

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceM BruceM is offline

In Word 2000, click Insert, point to AutoText, then click AutoText. Click
the AutoFormat tab and make the appropriate selections. Do the same on the
AutoFormat As You Type tab.
To change the font manually, select the text, then click Format Font and
make the appropriate selection. For a shortcut, select the text, then press
Ctrl + Shift + [plus sign]. For subscript, press Ctrl + [equals sign]. In
both cases I refer to the key just to the left of the backspace key on a
standard keyboard.

"Word perfected" Word wrote in message
When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and up
the right of the number?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

You can use the keyboard to superscript by pressing Ctrl+Shift+= to turn
superscript on, and then press the same keystrokes or Ctrl+SpaceBar to turn
it off.

You can have Word do this for you by clicking TOOLS in the Word menu and
then select AUTO CORRECT. In the AUTOCORRECT dialog box, click the AUTOFORMAT
tab and locate the ORDINALS (1st) WITH SUPERSCRIPT check box and click it to
turn that option on. Click OK to exit
--
Kevin Backmann

"Word perfected" wrote:

When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and up to
the right of the number?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BruceM BruceM is offline

Many users should employ Ctrl + Spacebar cautiously, as it will remove all
manually-applied font formatting. For instance, if your default style is
Normal, and the default Normal font is 10 pt. Times New Roman, and if you
have manually formatted to 11 pt. Arial plus superscript, removing the
manual formatting will cause the font to revert to 10 pt. TNR.
Of course, if Styles are being used properly, this won't be a problem, and
Ctrl + Spacebar will have the desired effect.

"Word perfected" wrote:

When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and up
the right of the number?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sean Bickford Sean Bickford is offline

today I had a curious situation related to superscripting of text.

One of our staff called me over to look at their machine - when we entered a
Canadian postal code (the format is alphanumeric A#A #A#) the sequence of
number-letter resulted in superscripting.

I checked all the options in auto-correct but did not see any instances
where superscripting would take place automatically. Is it possible this
staff person pressed a sequence of keys to turn on superscripting? We tried
restarting word and still it happened. any ideas?

"Word perfected" wrote:

When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and up
the right of the number?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+Shift+= is the keyboard shortcut for superscript, and ordinarily the
number-letter sequence that would trigger superscripting via AutoFormat
would be #th or#st or #nd, so I can't see how this sequence could trigger
superscripting *unless* you have the language set to French and the letter
following a number is e.

"Word perfected" wrote:

When I type a number with st, nd, rd, th behind it the letters remain

the
size of the number. What do I change to make the letters smaller and

up
the right of the number?

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I make the th small for 9th?

To make the "th" smaller and up to the right of the number, you can use the Superscript feature in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps:
  1. Type the number you want to add "th" to, for example, "9".
  2. Highlight the "th" after the number.
  3. Right-click on the highlighted "th" and select "Font" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the Font dialog box, check the box next to "Superscript" and click "OK".
  5. The "th" should now be smaller and up to the right of the number.

Alternatively, you can use keyboard shortcuts to apply superscript formatting. Simply highlight the "th" and press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "+". This will make the "th" smaller and up to the right of the number.

Last edited by kevin : April 4th 23 at 03:11 PM