Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
FensterBos FensterBos is offline

Default MailMerge: Label - Problems (Next Record)

I am trying to "merge" a list of addresses on an Excel sheet (.XLS) to a Word
document (.DOC) using the Mail Merge - Labels tool. Basically, I am trying
to use Mail Merge for what it is suppose to be used for.
When I follow the Mail Merge Wizard, I enter the correct document type
(labels), and then select the specific label option/type/size, then use "an
existing list" for my recipients. At that point, I select the respective
Workbook and Sheet; the wizard shows me a faux list of the addresses I want
to merge into my Word document, everything looks in order. However, when I
click 'OK' and continue to arrange and preview my labels, all I see is a
"Next Record" message inside the labels, and eventually nothing when I
complete the merge.
Everything seems to be in order, so I do not know what I am doing wrong.
What step am I missing? Is it the Excel file?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I suspect that the basic problem you have is that you need to say what
fields and text you want to print on your labels. For once, Word does not
try to guess!

the wizard shows me a faux list of the addresses I want
to merge into my Word document,

Does it? At this point, I see two options:-

Select a different list...

Edit recipient list...

This is in "Step 3 of 6" in te Word 2003 Mail Merge Wizard.

If you then click "Next: Arrange your labels", then what you have to do is
a. insert the fields and "trim" that you need
b. click "Update all labels"
c. click "Next: Preview your labels"
d. after you have done anything you need to do in Step 5 of 6...
e. click Next: Complete the merge
f. either
- Print or
- Edit Standard Labels, then print the output document

In step (a) (Step 5 or 6) you need to insert the fields that you want to
print on your labels.

If you have a Tablet PC, step (b) may fail. There is some evidence that the
same may happen with some versions of Windows Vista. In that case, have a
look at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0005.htm

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"FensterBos" wrote in message
[...]

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: MailMerge: Label - Problems (Next Record)

Mail Merge Tips

It sounds like you're on the right track with your Mail Merge, but there may be a few things you need to check to ensure that your labels are merging correctly.
  1. Make sure that your Excel sheet is properly formatted. The column headers should match the fields you want to merge in your Word document. For example, if you want to merge the recipient's name, address, and city, your Excel sheet should have columns labeled "Name," "Address," and "City."
  2. Double-check that you've selected the correct sheet and range in your Excel workbook when you're setting up your Mail Merge. If you're not seeing the correct list of addresses in the Mail Merge Wizard, it's possible that you've selected the wrong sheet or range.
  3. Once you've confirmed that your Excel sheet is properly formatted and you've selected the correct sheet and range in the Mail Merge Wizard, try previewing your labels again. If you're still seeing "Next Record" instead of your actual data, it's possible that your labels are not properly formatted.
  4. To fix this, you'll need to make sure that your label template matches the size and layout of the labels you're using. You can do this by going to the "Label Options" dialog box in the Mail Merge Wizard and selecting the correct label type and size. You may also need to adjust the margins and spacing to ensure that your labels fit correctly.
  5. Once you've made these adjustments, preview your labels again to ensure that your data is merging correctly. If you're still having issues, try saving your Excel sheet as a CSV file and using that as your data source instead. Sometimes, using a CSV file can help resolve issues with Mail Merge.