Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thesis thesis is offline

Default table of contents is all the same page number in print preview

I have a long document in Word, 50,000 words, with 3 separate tables of
contents. They work fine, until I look at them with print preview, then the
page number for each entry is the same eg 14. Each time I do it the page
number changes, but is the same for all the entries in the table. Any
suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi thesis

thesis wrote:
I have a long document in Word, 50,000 words, with 3 separate tables of
contents. They work fine, until I look at them with print preview, then the
page number for each entry is the same eg 14. Each time I do it the page
number changes, but is the same for all the entries in the table. Any
suggestions?

Which version of Word is this?

Off the top of my head, I'd attribute bad page numbers in PrintPreview
or the printed output (they *do* print wrong, too?) to Word having
trouble paginating the whole file (timing problems, aka "Page 1 of 1,
Page 2 of 2, etc.").

OTOH, 50'000 words isn't all that much (you can fit that on well below
100 pages with Word's =rand(), though the default normal.dot is
hopefully not the layout of your final book :-)). In other Words: on a
reasonable hardware, this is not something I've seen reported before.

If you can, check the file on a different installation of Word.

0.2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS