Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imat imat is offline

Default my own word templates

i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the template
..dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On the File Locations tab of Tools | Options, note the path for User
Templates. That's where it should go. Alternatively, search in Windows for
Normal.dot (being sure to include hidden and system files and folders in the
search) and put it in the same folder.

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imat imat is offline

i did that , but when i bring up the choices on the template dialog, it does
not show that. how do i make it a choice?
thanks

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm not sure what you mean by "bring up the choices on the template dialog."
Are you talking about the Templates dialog (also called New when accessed
more conventionally) that you get when you click on "On my computer" in the
New Document task pane? If so, it should be on the General tab unless you
put it in a subfolder (in which case it should be on the tab that represents
that subfolder. Does your template have a .dot extension?

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the
template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document
that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Are you looking for a separate Tab to show up in the Templates dialog or
does the .dot not display at all?

If you want it as an available item displayed on a separate Tab you have to
create a folder within the Templates folder. The easiest way is to open the
..dot, itself, then use Save As to save it in the default location which will
automatically be selected when you choose Document Template from the Save As
Type list in the Save As dialog (choose something else first, then choose
Document Template). You can then create a folder there using the New Folder
button on the dialog's toolbar & save.

Otherwise it will appear on the General Tab.

If it isn't appearing at all you may have moved it to the wrong Templates
folder... There is one in the Program Files hierarchy but your template
needs to go into the one most likely found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\"username"\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/21/07 9:08 AM, in article
, "imat"

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imat imat is offline

i'm pretty sure its in the right folder and is .dot, but i will have to check
on monday when i'm at that computer. otherwise everything is like ousaid but
it is still not a choice.

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the
template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document
that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imat imat is offline

i actually now put it in a few places, all that you suggested. it still does
not show up. what am i missing?
thanks

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imat imat is offline

what i finally did was to drag the file into the open dialog of the
templates. it remained there and is available as a template now. thanks for
your help.

"imat" wrote in message
i just got a new computer and installed my old word 2003 on it. i had a
template that was created for me on the old computer. i have the template
.dot file. where and how do i store it so when i open a new document that
comes up as one of the choices for templates?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
imat imat is offline

i see actually my first response did not post. i tried putting copies
everywhere and it did not work so i dragged it in like i said before