Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ian Shaw Ian Shaw is offline

Default Update multiple links in different sections by selecting the F9 ke

Hi Guys,

I have a rather larhe document that requires updating several differnet
links (setup via the File|Properties) and when these links are selected and
updated only the currently selected section is updated. I have tried
selecting the whole document via CTRL A and selecting the F9 key but that
only updates the current section that has been highlighted and does not
update the links that are in different sections. The different sections are
set up via inputting section breaks. It would be nice to know how to
automatically update all the links in the different sections as I have about
6 different sections all up and rather than going through the whole document
it would be nice to update all links in just one sweep!!

Please help me guys, its quite frustrating !!

Cheers,

Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Ctrl+A should select all 6 Sections of the document so that when you press
F9 all of the links should be updated.

I must admit however, I do not know what you mean by the links being "setup
via the File|Properties".

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Ctrl+A should select all 6 Sections of the document so that when you press
F9 all of the links should be updated.

I must admit however, I do not know what you mean by the links being
"setup via the File|Properties".

My guess is that the OP is referring to fields (such as DOCPROPERTY fields)
which display the contents of the Title, Subject, etc. boxes in the Document
Properties dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ian Shaw Ian Shaw is offline

Default Update multiple links in different sections by selecting the F

Yes Doug I have already tried using the CTRL A to select the whole document
but this does not seem to select all the sections in the header and footer
(all the 6 different sections). The sections in the header and footer must
be selected seperatly and then updated.

Yes Stefan your guess is correct

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To update all fields, including those in headers and footers, use the
example macro presented at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ian Shaw Ian Shaw is offline

Would you believe that one of my friends told a much easier way to update
fields/links etc including those in headers and footers by the following
method:

Goto View|and select Normal Layout
select all and then depress F9

Reselect the Print layout and then have a guess what!!

It is actually updated, including the headers and footers!!

No requirement for the macro!!

Cheers

P.S - I thought you may be interested!!

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The reason that works is that all fields in the header and footer are
updated when the document is repaginated (see €śWD97: Fields Updated When
Document Repaginated€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=89953), and it
is repaginated every time you switch from Normal to Print Layout view.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Ctrl+A should select all 6 Sections of the document so that when

you
press
F9 all of the links should be updated.

I must admit however, I do not know what you mean by the links

being
"setup via the File|Properties".

My guess is that the OP is referring to fields (such as DOCPROPERTY
fields)
which display the contents of the Title, Subject, etc. boxes in the
Document
Properties dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And to clarify further: not all fields are updated when the document is
repaginated, but the macro does update all fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The reason that works is that all fields in the header and footer are
updated when the document is repaginated (see "WD97: Fields Updated When
Document Repaginated" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=89953), and it
is repaginated every time you switch from Normal to Print Layout view.

so
all may benefit.

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can also just use PrintPreview and then close it.

--

"Ian Shaw" wrote in message
[...]

Automatic Update of Links Steve Hunt Microsoft Word Help 1 November 24th 06 03:27 PM
Links won't automatically update Pamela Microsoft Word Help 0 June 17th 06 06:44 PM
Selecting sections MarkN Microsoft Word Help 4 January 4th 06 12:27 AM
auto update of links Al New Users 1 December 19th 05 09:18 PM
Always Asked To Update Links Wendy Microsoft Word Help 0 February 16th 05 11:31 PM