Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

Default Number a list in reverse

{Word 2002 SP3}

Is it possible to automatically number a list in reverse in Word? That is
the first item is (say) "10", the next "9", and so on?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Bob,

You can do this with a bit of field coding:
.. at the point where you want the numbering to start, type in your first
number (eg '10').
.. select the number and bookmark it, using the name 'ListNum'
.. at the point where you want the second number to appear, press Ctrl-F9 twice
to create a pair of nested fields - denoted by a set of nested field braces
(i.e '{ { } }')
.. code these nested fields so that you end up with '{=ListNum-{SEQ RevNum}}'
.. copy the nested fields with their coding and paste them in each remaining
list position
.. when you've finished pasting, select the whole list and press F9 to generate
the number sequence

If you find you need to expand or contract the list, edit the first number
(without deleting the bookmark). Then, if you're adding to the list, copy one
of the numbered fields and paste it into the new position. Conversely if
you're deleting from the list, delete the corresponding number. If you're just
re-arranging the list, you can move the items around with their numbers. Once
you've finished adding/deleting/moving, select the list again and press F9 to
update the numbers.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Opinicus" wrote in message
| {Word 2002 SP3}
|
| Is it possible to automatically number a list in reverse in Word? That is
| the first item is (say) "10", the next "9", and so on?
|
| --
| Bob
| http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

' Macro created 12/02/2006 by Doug Robbins to apply/re-apply reverse
sequential numbering

Dim i As Long, Numrange As Range
Set Numrange = Selection.Range
With Numrange
For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
If IsNumeric(.Paragraphs(i).Range.Characters(1)) Then
With .Paragraphs(i).Range
While IsNumeric(.Characters(1))
.Characters(1).Delete
Wend
.Characters(1).Delete
End With
End If
.Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore .Paragraphs.Count - i + 1 & vbTab
Next i
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Opinicus" wrote in message
{Word 2002 SP3}

Is it possible to automatically number a list in reverse in Word? That is
the first item is (say) "10", the next "9", and so on?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

That's pretty clever. Thanks.

Now if I could just get it to automatically renumber when I add/remove items
from the list...

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

' Macro created 12/02/2006 by Doug Robbins to apply/re-apply reverse
sequential numbering

Dim i As Long, Numrange As Range
Set Numrange = Selection.Range
With Numrange
For i = 1 To .Paragraphs.Count
If IsNumeric(.Paragraphs(i).Range.Characters(1)) Then
With .Paragraphs(i).Range
While IsNumeric(.Characters(1))
.Characters(1).Delete
Wend
.Characters(1).Delete
End With
End If
.Paragraphs(i).Range.InsertBefore .Paragraphs.Count - i + 1 & vbTab
Next i
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP"

Now if I could just get it to automatically renumber when I add/remove
items from the list...

Just select the list and run it again,

{Slaps self upside the head} Of course!

Thanks again.