Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WesE WesE is offline

Default Template and Compat Mode

Hello,

Here is the scenario that is causing us problems.

1. Open .dot template to create new doc, Word 07 Opens in Compat mode and
user makes edits.

2. User saves doc, Word 07 wants to save the file as .docx, to save the file
as .doc requires the user to select the option - Maintain compat ....

What we need is for Word 07 to default to saving in Word 97-03 format.
However we do not want to set that globally. That is, docs created from a
Word 03 template should default to saving in Word 03 format and new docs
created in Word 07 save as .docx. Is this possible?

Thanks,

-Wes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Wes,

Here is the scenario that is causing us problems.

1. Open .dot template to create new doc, Word 07 Opens in Compat mode and
user makes edits.

2. User saves doc, Word 07 wants to save the file as .docx, to save the file
as .doc requires the user to select the option - Maintain compat ....

What we need is for Word 07 to default to saving in Word 97-03 format.
However we do not want to set that globally. That is, docs created from a
Word 03 template should default to saving in Word 03 format and new docs
created in Word 07 save as .docx. Is this possible?

Not without using some kind of macro to pre-set the file type in the Save As
dialog box.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
WesE WesE is offline

Cindy,

Thanks for the response. Would the macro go in the global template or in
each individual template? We have about 900 Word 03 templates so altering
them is a large effort.

-Wes

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Wes,

Here is the scenario that is causing us problems.

1. Open .dot template to create new doc, Word 07 Opens in Compat mode and
user makes edits.

2. User saves doc, Word 07 wants to save the file as .docx, to save the file
as .doc requires the user to select the option - Maintain compat ....

What we need is for Word 07 to default to saving in Word 97-03 format.
However we do not want to set that globally. That is, docs created from a
Word 03 template should default to saving in Word 03 format and new docs
created in Word 07 save as .docx. Is this possible?

Not without using some kind of macro to pre-set the file type in the Save As
dialog box.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the response. Would the macro go in the global template or in
each individual template? We have about 900 Word 03 templates so altering
them is a large effort.

You may want to double-check this with the folks in word.vba.general (the
macros newsgroup; this group is more end-user oriented), but I think you
could put a macro named FileSaveAs in a global template. It shouldn't need
to go in each individual template (which would sort of defeat the purpose).