Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NMcAloon NMcAloon is offline

Default Wild Cards in Find and Replace to put two spaces after periods

Someone told me to use the following in Find and Replace in order to get two
spaces after periods and colons, where the succeeding character is a capital
letter.
Find: ([.:]) ([A-Z])
Replace: \1 \2

This is so not working for me. Any suggestions or any correction to the
method above? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helmut Weber[_2_] Helmut Weber[_2_] is offline

Hi,

Find: ([.:]) ([A-Z])
Replace: \1 \2

there is only one space in your find expression.
Should be two:
Find: ([.:]) ([A-Z])

Maybe still better:
([.:]) {2,}([A-Z])

which means period or colon followed
by two or more spaces.

--

Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Vista Small Business, Office XP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

NMcAloon wrote:
Someone told me to use the following in Find and Replace in order to
get two spaces after periods and colons, where the succeeding
character is a capital letter.
Find: ([.:]) ([A-Z])
Replace: \1 \2

This is so not working for me. Any suggestions or any correction to
the method above? Thanks!

It doesn't work because the replace string puts back the found string
exactly as it was before.

If you want to remove two spaces and replace with one add an extra space in
the search string
and leave the replace string

or if you want to add an extra space leave the search string and put the
extra space in the replace string
\1 \2

http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm