jeanne

Default page numbering

I have Word 2003.
There are 80 pages in my pamphlet. Some are single column, most are 2 columns.
I have repeatedly gone to header (that is where i want pagination to be) and
started the numbering but due to the constant changing formats of "section
break, continuous, or page break every so many pages along, the numbers all
keep changing.
I would like to sove this by manually putting page numbers on the top of
each page, but the 2 columns on each page prevent my inserting into the
middle. So how do i completely turn off the header footer territory so i can
just type the page numbers in peace? It is as if the header wont allow anyone
into its space; it keeps appearing if i try to type a page number, and
changes all my efforts everytime it comes to a page that changes from 2 to
one column.
Thank you.
Jeannie

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

hatom525 wrote:
Word 2002

In a previously created document, the footer page numbering defaults
to (0) zero whether I format the beginning number to (2) two or (99)
ninety-nine. The first page footer is different and the remaining
document is (1) section. Any ideas why and how to correct??

See if this is the problem:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

You should not be having to do anything with the page numbers. You should be
able to insert a { PAGE } field in the first header and leave it alone, and
the page numbers will progress correctly throughout the document provided
they are not restarted anywhere (that is, provided that the numbering in
every section is set to "Continue from previous section").

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

hatom525 wrote:
Word 2002

In a previously created document, the footer page numbering defaults
to (0) zero whether I format the beginning number to (2) two or (99)
ninety-nine. The first page footer is different and the remaining
document is (1) section. Any ideas why and how to correct??

See if this is the problem:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

jeanne

Thank you
"{page field}
I am not sure if "continue from previous section" can be set for the numbers
when not every page can be set that way since the pages are formatted to
change from one column to two and back again so they cannot be a continuation
or the formatting changes. That is the gist of the actual problem and why i
tried to insert the numbers manually.
Does this make any sense to you?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

hatom525 wrote:
Word 2002

In a previously created document, the footer page numbering defaults
to (0) zero whether I format the beginning number to (2) two or (99)
ninety-nine. The first page footer is different and the remaining
document is (1) section. Any ideas why and how to correct??

See if this is the problem:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumber0.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hi Jeanne,

No, you're confusing two unrelated things. The setting Suzanne
mentioned is in the Format Page Numbering dialog, and it affects only
the page number sequence -- it has nothing at all to do with column
formatting. If you haven't seen it, then you haven't changed it, so
your page numbers are still consecutive throughout the document.

The point we're both trying to make is that the page number field
should be in the header, *not* in the text area. Then it won't
interact at all with the columns, the section breaks, or anything
else.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman