Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Size matters Size matters is offline

Default Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it

I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it

Hi there! It sounds like you're experiencing some trouble with an Excel Worksheet Object that you've pasted into your Word document. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue.

When you paste an Excel Worksheet Object into a Word document, it's actually embedding the entire Excel file into the Word document. This means that any changes you make to the Excel file will be reflected in the Word document, and vice versa.

As for the resizing issue you're experiencing, it's possible that the Excel Worksheet Object is set to automatically resize to fit the contents of the cells. To prevent this from happening, you can try the following steps:
  1. Right-click on the Excel Worksheet Object in your Word document.
  2. Select "Format Object" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Object" dialog box, select the "Size" tab.
  4. Uncheck the box next to "Lock aspect ratio" and "Resize autoshape to fit contents".
  5. Click "OK" to save your changes.

This should prevent the Excel Worksheet Object from automatically resizing when you edit or open it. If you still experience issues, you can try copying the Excel Worksheet Object into a separate Excel document and editing it there. Then, you can copy and paste it back into your Word document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_141_] Henk57[_141_] is offline

It depends how you insert the Excel sheet. As you describe I think you
embed it, as you call Excel from within Word.
My approach would be to link the Excel sheet to Word dynamically. In
Word 2003, select the table (cell range) you want to copy to Word in
Excel, Copy, and go to Word. Then Edit/Paste Special and tick Paste
link, and select under As: Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object.
Resize as needed.
Make any changes in the Excel sheet and these are automatically
reflected in the Word table (You might have to right-click the Word
table and choose Update link). There is a price to pay, though: the
Word file will be significantly increase in size so if you do this with
many tables it might become impractable.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Size matters Size matters is offline

Thank you for your reply, while it has provided a differrent and cleaner way
to inser the excel worksheet I am still getting the problem with it resizing
in word. When I now double click the worksheet in Word it opens in Excel. If
I edit and save it and then update the worksheet in Word it stretches in size
and goes off the page.

Any ideas?

Size matters;2515701 Wrote:
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to
use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable
(either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when

edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few

seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using
undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from
expanding?
Thanks.

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_155_] Henk57[_155_] is offline

-

Size matters;2515701 Wrote: -
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need
use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be
editable
(either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word
when

edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a
few

seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using
undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from
expanding?
Thanks.-

--
Henk57
-

Make sure you have the aspect ratio locked. You can do this in Format
Object (check both "lock aspect ratio" in the Size tab, and "Relative
to original picture size").
If you have dynamically linked, it's not necessary to call Excel from
within Word, but open the source (xls) file. Then make the changes,
and the Word document shd reflect them without changing the size of the
table.

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfox jfox is offline

The problem is not corrected with this. The next time the link is updated
the worksheet (object) is resized incorrectly again. I have tried many
things and nothing seems to correct this problem. If you special paste the
worksheet in as a metfile picture it doesn't resize but will not print
borders and lines correctly. This worked previously in Word 2000 but does
not work properly in 2003. Is this the case in 2007 too?

-

Size matters;2515701 Wrote: -
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfox jfox is offline

Now do you know a way to center the spreadsheet between the margins without
using the centering option that appears to cause the resizing issue?

Jfox

-

Size matters;2515701 Wrote: -
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfox jfox is offline

Henk57 -

I stand corrected on my previous statement that your solution doesn't work.
It does work if you keep the in line with text provision. Centering the
spreadsheet seems to be the problem. It is not as pretty as when you can
center the spreadsheet but it does keep Word from resizing the spreadsheet.

Thanks for your information.

jfox

-

Size matters;2515701 Wrote: -
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Taylor Bryant Taylor Bryant is offline

Default Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when Iedit/open it - Size matter

Screwy workaround - I do a lot of this linking.

Copy the cells (in excel)

In word

Paste speciallinkedas picture

'Will probably default to inline pic, I usually want floating

Right clickFormat object'Size' tab
'In mine, it always pastes cells scaled at 98% height, 105% width, [with charts, not a problem]
Uncheck 'Lock Aspect Ratio'
Select 'OK'

Right clickFormat object'Size' tab
Change height to 100%, width to 100%
Select 'OK'

Right clickFormat object'Size' tab
Check 'Lock Aspect Ratio'
Select 'OK'

You have to do these three steps discretely - and manually (I have had no luck changing these settings via VBA, except using sendkeys).

If you do these three, then you can go back in, adjust to whatever scale you need (say 90%/90%) and when updating the link, the size will not reset and go all screwy.

Note: if you "Change Source" via EditLinks you will have to repeat the above process.

8 months better late than never!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jan Jan is offline

Default Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it - Si

Taylor,

I want the object size to remain at 100%, the scale changes everytime I open
the Word document. For each linked excel object I have to go to format
Object, Size and reset. It resets to 100%. The locked ratio is not checked
and the relative to original picture is not checked.

"Taylor Bryant" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] stephenreichel@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 12:14:00 AM UTC-5, Size matters wrote:
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.

Same thing is happening to me. I've read a lot of forums and tried some of the fixes, but nothing was working. For some reason I began having the same problem with embedded excel sheets in MS Word docs that previously were working fine, so I began troubleshooting issues outside of MS Word/Excel. When I disconnected the laptop from the docking station and tested the embedded excel sheets, the tables reverted to normal. So, although I don't fully understand the root cause, it appears to be connected with display settings. Try adjusting display settings or disconnecting your laptop from the monitor and then open and close the embedded Excel sheet and see if that affects the distortion.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] coryieong@gmail.com is offline

Size matters於 2007年12月6日星期四 UTC+8下午1時14分00秒寫道:
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.

I suffered from the same problem for a long long time, and one day, I found a way to prevent this program happening:

1. Start MS-Word,
2. go to Settings, go to Advanced Settings, write down these settings on a paper (or take screen snapshots);
3. Uncheck all these settings;
4. Re-start MS-Word;
5. Retake all the settings you write down in step-2;

Now you can use the Word as before, and the embedded Excel objects (Tables, Charts) will (hopefully) not re-size randomly anymore. It works in my environment and hope it works for you too.

I can only conclude that it is a programming bug of Word, but hard to believe that Microsoft give no solution after so many complaints.
balloon9 balloon9 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size matters View Post
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
GoMovies
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.
I also have a similar problem. I searched a lot and tried some fixes but still don't work
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] djkalil53@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:19:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I am using Word 2016, and this workaround actually worked. Brilliant! I was working for several hours trying to figure out the "secret handshake." I should have Googled for an answer beforehand. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] fatguy1121@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, December 5, 2007 at 9:14:00 PM UTC-8, Size matters wrote:
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.

Holy Resurrection Batman! I found the 100% verifiable way to fix this from happening. The issue is from using the excel spreadsheet object as a floating object. It NEEDS to be set as an in-line with text object by Right clicking Format Object Layout Wrapping Style In line with text.

If you have issues with it jumping around pages, set the invisible lines to have a font size of 1pt and keep dragging it around until you get it "in-line" with the "text". Just keep in mind that the spreadsheet is now "technically" a text object so hitting backspace will delete it while typing.

jjasmith4 jjasmith4 is offline
Junior Member

What are the settings at step 2? No images display here, and not one of them is written out. Please, I need this solution badly!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jjasmith4@gmail.com is offline

Nope, I've been putting an Excel object into a Word document as an in-line shape every time, and I still get the issue. It seems also related to whether you're using an external monitor?!?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...201337a?auth=1
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jjasmith4@gmail.com is offline

What are the settings at step 2? They're not written anywhere, nor are any images displayed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jjasmith4@gmail.com is offline

stephen -- check this out:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...201337a?auth=1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] jjasmith4@gmail.com is offline

I've been doing this as an inline shape from the beginning and always, and I still have zooming/resizing issues.

It seems to be related to external monitors?? Check this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...201337a?auth=1
jjasmith4 jjasmith4 is offline
Junior Member

djkalil53, what are the settings? There's no picture or description of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] coloradoappraisalconsultants@gmail.com is offline

I have dealt with this issue for years, no solution.

It is not the "inline" setting, "lock aspect ratio" or any other setting I can find. And it has nothing to do with external monitors or display.

Still unfixed for me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] gouleauflorence@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 23:06:06 UTC+1, wrote:
I have dealt with this issue for years, no solution.

It is not the "inline" setting, "lock aspect ratio" or any other setting I can find. And it has nothing to do with external monitors or display.

Still unfixed for me.

Disconnecting the external monitor immediately solved it for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] charlemagnepaul@gmail.com is offline

Right click then go to picture. In the format object set up go to size and picture tab and click reset. On Layout, click in line with text. It should return to its normal size.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefanie F Stefanie F is offline

[...]

Why did this work?! Amazing. Thank you for this.