Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sher Sher is offline

Default Why does merge print only the first label?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

After you have set up the fields and layout that you want in your labels,
you have to copy those fields/layout to all the other label cells in the
table. In Word 2007 you should be able to use the "Update labels" button in
the "Write and Insert Fields" panel of the Mailings tab to do that. In Word
XP/2003 there's a "propagate labels" button in the Mail Merge toolbar and a
button in the Mail merge Wizard that does the same thing.

Then you have to merge to printer or to a new output document and print
that.

NB on Tablet PC and Vista PCs with some tablet/multimedia capabilities this
function does not always work properly. If you find it just copies one or
two labels in the top row and some in the bottom row, see
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0005.htm

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See where what you are doing differs from
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RebeccaJHB RebeccaJHB is offline

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in my list
on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on merging and I'm still
going crazy. I am trying to print name tags using an Avery label. I have
three fields name, state, and staus. I can't figure out how to get it to do
the whole list.

Rebecca
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RebeccaJHB RebeccaJHB is offline

Oops, I should rephrase that. It puts the first name on all three labels on
the first page, the second name on all three labels on the second page, et
cetera.

Rebecca

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in my list
on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on merging and I'm still
going crazy. I am trying to print name tags using an Avery label. I have
three fields name, state, and staus. I can't figure out how to get it to do
the whole list.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That's because you have not propagated the labels, therefore there are no
Next fields automatically included. It is the Next record fields that move
through the data. This is all explained in the links that I posted to this
thread on the 12th July! -

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in
my list on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on
merging and I'm still going crazy. I am trying to print name tags
using an Avery label. I have three fields name, state, and staus.
I can't figure out how to get it to do the whole list.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RebeccaJHB RebeccaJHB is offline

I told you I'm an idiot! I looked at both of those but when I saw all the
buttons up top, I thought there was some mistake. I just looked again and
realized that I needed to scroll down. I will print it out and try again,
but it will probably be tomorrow before I can do it.

Rebecca

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in
my list on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on
merging and I'm still going crazy. I am trying to print name tags
using an Avery label. I have three fields name, state, and staus.
I can't figure out how to get it to do the whole list.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RebeccaJHB RebeccaJHB is offline

Okay, I've worked on this all day and still no better. I printed out your
stuff and followed it step by step. I downloaded the four part turtorial and
followed it step by step. I have a whole collection of files from starting
all over again. I'm still getting the same result. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME!

Rebecca

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in
my list on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on
merging and I'm still going crazy. I am trying to print name tags
using an Avery label. I have three fields name, state, and staus.
I can't figure out how to get it to do the whole list.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Please advise us step by step exactly what you have done.

Are you by anychance using a Tablet PC to do this (or a PC with some tablet
functionality)?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in
my list on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on
merging and I'm still going crazy. I am trying to print name tags
using an Avery label. I have three fields name, state, and staus.
I can't figure out how to get it to do the whole list.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you trying to use Windows Vista Contacts as a data source?

If so, you cannot use the contacts "as they are" as a data source, because
each one is held in a separate file.

You have to click the Export option in the Contacts menu,
export to .csv format, and try to use that as the data source for your
merge.

If you do not see the Export option, you have to use the View menu option
(not the "Views" menu option in the lower menu), then "Customize this
folder", then in "Use this folder type as a template" select "Contacts".

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Sher" wrote in message

I have 2007. After I do "update labels" it puts the first file in
my list on all the labels. I have printed out the help file on
merging and I'm still going crazy. I am trying to print name tags
using an Avery label. I have three fields name, state, and staus.
I can't figure out how to get it to do the whole list.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RebeccaJHB RebeccaJHB is offline

No tablet and no contact list. I am using an excel file. Late last night it
finally worked. I don't know what I did differently and I don't know if I
can do it again, so I stayed up and printed everything I needed. I can't
believe what a headache it has been!

Rebecca