Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nethugger nethugger is offline

Default numbering in headers and footers

I clicked on the "insert page numbers" on the headers and footers toolbar and
got the numbers inserted, but on all the two digit numbers the second digit
is UNDER the first digit. How do I get them to reside side-by-side as
neighbors? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since you specify the Header and Footer toolbar, I assume you're using Word
2003 and earlier, and since you specify the Insert Page Number button on
that toolbar, I assume you're actually inserting a simple PAGE field. The
only thing that would cause a PAGE field to be broken across two lines would
be very bizarre paragraph formatting: indents so huge as to permit only one
letter per line. This seems very unlikely.

OTOH, if you use Insert | Page Numbers (using the Insert menu), you get the
PAGE field in a frame. Although the frame width is set to "Automatic," so it
ought to adjust to the length of the page number, sometimes this doesn't
work. In such cases, you may have to enlarge the frame manually. When you
click on the page number, you should be able to see the frame borders and
sizing handles so you can drag it larger.

"nethugger" wrote in message
I clicked on the "insert page numbers" on the headers and footers toolbar
and
got the numbers inserted, but on all the two digit numbers the second
digit
is UNDER the first digit. How do I get them to reside side-by-side as
neighbors? Thanks.

Headers & Footers Jules Microsoft Word Help 2 May 10th 07 03:14 PM
headers and footers Liz H Microsoft Word Help 1 April 26th 06 03:09 PM
Headers and Footers Adam Microsoft Word Help 2 January 31st 06 03:51 PM
Headers and Footers M Tables 6 January 27th 06 03:07 PM
Headers and footers are not there Sir Paul Microsoft Word Help 2 January 11th 05 05:15 AM