Heather

Default I need to start over TOC

I have taken over a word doc that had a table of contents created.
The document has had major changes. I am having such a hard time
understanding how this other person set it up. I go under hyperlinks and I
see headings but I can not delete them? So when I try to Idex and reference
it reverts back to the old and clears out what I have typed for a table of
content...

Can anyone tell me how I can start over? Thanks..

--
Heather

If the TOC is a field, then it is based on heading styles, outline levels,
and/or TC fields. You should be able to update the TOC with F9 (choosing
"Entire table of contents") provided you have created the headings the same
way the original author did. You don't have to type anything in, and, as
you've seen, anything you do type into the field will be removed when you
update the TOC. You can get a better understanding of how this works by
reading http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"Heather" wrote in message
I have taken over a word doc that had a table of contents created.
The document has had major changes. I am having such a hard time
understanding how this other person set it up. I go under hyperlinks and

see headings but I can not delete them? So when I try to Idex and

reference
it reverts back to the old and clears out what I have typed for a table of
content...

Can anyone tell me how I can start over? Thanks..

--
Heather

How can you start embedded programs automatically in Word? Evon Microsoft Word Help 1 March 18th 05 07:32 PM
safe start up KenD Microsoft Word Help 1 February 8th 05 11:12 PM
When I start typing, the background for that line turns black and. I.Sharp New Users 1 December 10th 04 11:53 AM
Start at the end of document Cindy M -WordMVP- New Users 0 November 30th 04 10:45 AM
how do i change manage css links to start of document salliedee Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 10:05 PM