Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default stop automatic multilevel list renumbering

Reference Jonny S's question of 7/4/09, "Numbers with negative indents jump
to the right". In other words, we get the list like we want it and then
somewhere along the line Word launches itself to reformat everything and its
all destroyed. Note that in that question the author says, "I have already
uncheck the apply to all box" and it doesn't work.

How do tell Word to quit it until I manually tell it to do so? How can we
set the update manually? ....don't do anything till I tell you to.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since you are referring to negative indents, I am guessing you aren't using
the *numbering* dialog box to set the indentation for your numbering levels,
which you should be doing.

To modify an existing outline-numbered list in Word 2007: Place the
insertion point in the first top-level paragraph of your list (for numbered
headings, this means the first Heading 1 paragraph of the document). On the
Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click Define New Multilevel List
(and, yes, the command is misleading). You are presented with a dialog box
similar to the Customize Outline Numbered dialog box of previous versions.
You may have to click the More button to see all options for indentation.

For a description of the available options, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html (which is
still relevant even if it was written for Word 2003).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP