Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John John is offline

Default Word 2007 forms files and data source

Our office currently installed a new server and new licenses for MS
Office2007. We are using a Small Business Exchange Server.

Previous to Office 2007 we used individual (loaded on each computer) copies
of Office 2000.

I have hundreds of files that I have created in 2000 version (.doc). These
MS Word files have Merge codes that associated to an Excel spreadsheet (.xls)
as the data source.

Once we tried to use the MS Word 2007 to open the Word files already created
and associated to the Excel spreadsheet/database all of the data source
associations were lost. This I expected since the files were basically
copied from the old server to the new server.

However, none of the files opened in 2007 could maintain their association
with the data source. Also upon opening an MS word file it would look for
the datasource showing (Book1), but never open, unless I clicked on the Book
1 link, opened the Book 1 and clicked in any cell then minimized. The Word
doc would immediately locate that data source. Unfortunately, each time you
open a word doc with the merge codes and assocaiated data source you have to
go through the process of selecting the data source twice, selecting the
recipients with each record you want to find and inputting the data fields
and record choice. Also the record choice would not load in the select
recipient box. The data fields will not "stay" live in the query area and
those have to be inputted each time along with your record choice.

I tried to open the .doc and then choose convert then save as a .docx file.
As well I did the same with the Excel datasource file. Now we can get the
merge function to work and keep the data fields in the query to stay active,
however I can only open one docx file at a time. If I open two files the
second can't locate the data source and I have to input the same 10 steps of
information all over again. This is a waste of time.

I routinely have to keep 8-10 word files open at all times to perform
dictation. As well others in my office have to keep several files open all
the time.

I am the administrator on all these files and have full access. I allow
sharing of permission on the Excel data source spreadsheet with one other
person in our office, but all of the MS word docs are read only to everyone
in my office by me.

HELP! Our office is at a standstill until I figure out this issue.

--
John R.