JOI

Default How do I change or edit text in a scanned document?

I scan a document with HP all in one I cannot get it to let me change text in
the scan program or in word. I know this must be possible but I don't know
know how.
Margaret Aldis

If you have just scanned the document using an ordinary scanner then all you
have is a picture of the text - not editable characters.

To get something you can edit you need OCR (Optical Character
Recognition)software to interpret the "marks on the page" as text
characters.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"JOI" wrote in message
I scan a document with HP all in one I cannot get it to let me change text
in
the scan program or in word. I know this must be possible but I don't know
know how.

You may have entirely different software from mine (I have the HP ScanJet
4570c), but if you have the HP Director, you need to choose Scan Document
(not Scan Picture), select Editable Text, and send it to WordPad. This gives
you editable text you can copy/paste into Word. If you choose "Save to File"
as your Destination, the software creates a PDF, which I thought might work,
but I found that when I save from Acrobat to a "Word document," I get an
image file. There's probably some other secret to this, but for what I was
doing the best solution for me was to scan to WordPad and copy/paste to
Word. I found that the software did a surprisingly good job of OCR, though.

"JOI" wrote in message
I scan a document with HP all in one I cannot get it to let me change text

in
the scan program or in word. I know this must be possible but I don't know
know how.

scanned document mom50 Microsoft Word Help 1 February 18th 05 01:23 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 03:44 PM
Edit text without changing the rest of document Help with document formatting Microsoft Word Help 1 November 27th 04 12:02 AM
Can I change the vertical alignment of text in a text box? Fien Page Layout 2 November 25th 04 03:47 PM