Maureen

Default newspaper columns

I run MS Word 2000 and when I create columns, the default
seems to be BALANCED newspaper columns. I would like text
that go to the bottom of the page in one column and then
moves to the top of the second column (unbalanced
newspaper columns). I've tried the method offered by the
Office Assistant but it doesn't work for me.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Stefan Blom

First, switch to Normal view (on the View menu, click Normal). That
way, you'll be able to see the section breaks more easily.

Is the section formatted to use newspaper columns *followed* by a
Continuous section break? If it is, click in the text after the break
and do the following to change section properties: On the File menu,
click Page Setup, and click the Layout tab. Under Section Start, pick

Alternatively, to force Word not to balance newspaper columns, you can
click Options on the Tools menu. Click the Compatibility tab. Check
the option "Don't balance columns for continuous section starts", and
click OK.

The compatibility option might be easier to use, especially if you do
not want any Next page section breaks in your text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP