dpumpkin

Default recover deleted document

After typing a resume' I accidently hit "don't save" instead of "save"
because I thought it wanted me to save the changes I did to the templet. Now
I have deleted the whole resume'. I hadn't saved it, so is there any
likelyhood it is somewhere in my computer to recover it? I apologize for my
minimal knowledge.
katin42

No need to apologize. You made a resume, so you know something. Sometimes I
believe I know alot, then other days, I'm starting over.

The file being unsaved is not automatically deleted. Closing out a file is
not the same as deleting. You might just have to add the changes made, over
again, depending on what you can remember, and how complicated.

If you do not check your Recycle Bin regularly, it might be saved there.
Shortcuts are added on to the "Documents"tab, and listed in "Recent" files,
where you might find the unsaved version of your resume, without any recent
changes. Documents can be found in Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, and
your Start-up menu. The Recycle Bin commonly has an Icon, on most desktops.
The worst case scenirio, but still optional choice is to use the
scanreg/system restore option. This is done differenlty and varies greatly
throughout the different operating systems and Microsoft Office versions. It
would be best to do this with complete, step-by-step assistance from the
professional Tech Support service, included with your computer purchase and
ownership. Most will guide your through this cost free. I know the scanreg
(restore entire registry) is drastic, but will allow you to go back even as
far as one week, to the point in time, where your resume still existed. For
future uses, transfer all important documents to a floppy diskette (A:\
Drive), a CD disk (E:\ Drive}, or memory stick. Your computer should have A
drive, nearly all of them do, but not all come with the "memory stick" option
for removable storage.

"dpumpkin" wrote:

After typing a resume' I accidently hit "don't save" instead of "save"
because I thought it wanted me to save the changes I did to the templet. Now
I have deleted the whole resume'. I hadn't saved it, so is there any
likelyhood it is somewhere in my computer to recover it? I apologize for my
minimal knowledge.

garfield-n-odie

Interesting theory, but incorrect. "System restore" restores
selected Windows system files to a previous date, but does not
restore data files such as a Word file containing a résumé.
Likewise, scanreg.exe does not restore data files either.

katin42 wrote:

The worst case scenirio, but still optional choice is to use the
scanreg/system restore option. This is done differenlty and varies greatly
throughout the different operating systems and Microsoft Office versions. It
would be best to do this with complete, step-by-step assistance from the
professional Tech Support service, included with your computer purchase and
ownership. Most will guide your through this cost free. I know the scanreg
(restore entire registry) is drastic, but will allow you to go back even as
far as one week, to the point in time, where your resume still existed.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Dpumpkin is out of dluck.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dpumpkin" wrote:

After typing a resume' I accidently hit "don't save" instead of "save"
because I thought it wanted me to save the changes I did to the templet.
Now
I have deleted the whole resume'. I hadn't saved it, so is there any
likelyhood it is somewhere in my computer to recover it? I apologize for
my
minimal knowledge.

katin42

I have found multiple restored documets lost in Windows 98 Second Edition-NT,
after running scanreg.exe, but shouldn't assume it is possible for all. : (
Just the same, it couldn't hurt to check the Recycle Bin, Documents automatic
shortcuts, and Recent Files. I had a whole directory for a newsletter,
processed, designed and saved in the "My Documents" section, when I had that
operating system, and it was not a problem re-accessing everything, but I
had it preconfigured to save that material, in the event of a crash.

You can also set your End-User preferences in Microsoft Office-Word to
automatically save your documents, every 15 minutes, if necessary, in most
versions of Word. It should be in your "Tools" drop-down menu, in the
Options tab, where it gives you specific choices on how you want your
documents saved. If you don't want to transfer to floppy, then just make a
copy; and set it aside for these situations, that nearly all of us have been
through.

There are quite a few new Date Recovery Services available out there, but
they're really expensive, and it might be cheaper, just to start over. : (

Sorry, wish I could help more.

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

Dpumpkin is out of dluck.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"dpumpkin" wrote:

After typing a resume' I accidently hit "don't save" instead of "save"
because I thought it wanted me to save the changes I did to the templet.
Now
I have deleted the whole resume'. I hadn't saved it, so is there any
likelyhood it is somewhere in my computer to recover it? I apologize for
my
minimal knowledge.

garfield-n-odie

Scanreg.exe only backs up and restores the system.dat, user.dat,
system.ini, and win.ini files, so it is NOT POSSIBLE for you or
anyone else to use scanreg.exe to restore Word documents. And
since dpumpkin never saved the Word document, the document would
not be in the Recycle Bin or "Documents automatic shortcuts"
(whatever that is) or recently used files list.

katin42 wrote:
I have found multiple restored documets lost in Windows 98 Second Edition-NT,
after running scanreg.exe, but shouldn't assume it is possible for all. : (
Just the same, it couldn't hurt to check the Recycle Bin, Documents automatic
shortcuts, and Recent Files. I had a whole directory for a newsletter,
processed, designed and saved in the "My Documents" section, when I had that
operating system, and it was not a problem re-accessing everything, but I
had it preconfigured to save that material, in the event of a crash.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
alienlife

Hello all,

This is sooo embarassing. But basically, I accidentally deleted a very
important folder containing word documents that my brother has been working
on (we share computers). He was working on a novel, and I accidentally sent
the folder to the Recycle Bin, and then later, I cleaned out the whole
Recycle Bin, as I do regularly.

Is there any way at all that I can recover the folder and files? My bro is
the greatest guy ever and I'd do anything for him. What a flake I am....

"dpumpkin" wrote:

After typing a resume' I accidently hit "don't save" instead of "save"
because I thought it wanted me to save the changes I did to the templet.

Now
I have deleted the whole resume'. I hadn't saved it, so is there any
likelyhood it is somewhere in my computer to recover it? I apologize

for my
minimal knowledge.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

This is nothing to do with Word, however you *may* be able to recover the
folder and its contents or some of it if you use file recovery (file
undelete) software. The more you do on the PC in the meantime the more you
reduce your chances of recovery.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you don't save your work, there is nothing to recover.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"dpumpkin" wrote:

After typing a resume' I accidently hit "don't save" instead of
"save" because I thought it wanted me to save the changes I did to
the templet. Now I have deleted the whole resume'. I hadn't saved
it, so is there any likelyhood it is somewhere in my computer to
recover it? I apologize for my minimal knowledge.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

If it's in the recycle bin, yes. If not, no.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~