Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gapkid

Default Character Spacing - Condensed

Occasionally, I'll open up a previous Word document and all of the
characters/text are squooshed together on top of one another. The only way I
can figure out to correct it is to change the character spacing from 100% to
101%, but I shouldn't have to do that, especially for each and every document
that it happens to. What's happening with the documents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This seems to happen when Word temporarily loses track of the printer
driver. Some users report that the problem is cleared by opening the Print
dialog, changing the selected printer, changing back to the desired one, and
clicking Close.

"gapkid" wrote in message
Occasionally, I'll open up a previous Word document and all of the
characters/text are squooshed together on top of one another. The only

way I
can figure out to correct it is to change the character spacing from 100%

101%, but I shouldn't have to do that, especially for each and every

document
that it happens to. What's happening with the documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The question under discussion has to do with the screen display. I don't
know that anyone has been brave enough to try to print when the document
looks like that!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This seems to happen when Word temporarily loses track of the printer
driver. Some users report that the problem is cleared by opening the

Print
dialog, changing the selected printer, changing back to the desired one,

and
clicking Close.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"gapkid" wrote in message
Occasionally, I'll open up a previous Word document and all of the
characters/text are squooshed together on top of one another. The

only
way I
can figure out to correct it is to change the character spacing from

100%
101%, but I shouldn't have to do that, especially for each and every

document
that it happens to. What's happening with the documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Stevenson Brian Stevenson is offline

Default Finally, a solution that works!

After months of headaches, we have a solution! I have posted the steps and
screenshots on my blog.

http://www.brianstevenson.com/blog/?p=136

Good Luck!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Stevenson Brian Stevenson is offline

It might not be a bad idea to put it in place now before it happens. :-)
This fix affects the entire computer, not just the individual document.

"Brian Stevenson" wrote:

After months of headaches, we have a solution! I have posted the steps and
screenshots on my blog.

http://www.brianstevenson.com/blog/?p=136

Good Luck!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Finally, a solution that works! [Squished Text]

Hi Brian,

Since you didn't tie this posting to anything, I'm assuming you're using this suggestion, to turn off Background printing, relative
to the 'squished/pile up' print issue with Word 2003?

This is one of the workarounds, (also seems to help with other print issues with HP printers in particular) but isn't,
unfortunately, always available to users in corporate environments. Switching to another printer name and back is another.

Unfortunately, it's still not confirmed in MS's testing that as on a consistent basis if it's the .tmp and .spl files leftover from
Word or the printer drivers that seem to cause this, but it's definitely worth trying

==========

--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system info,
online Test Drive, or downloadable beta is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Character Spacing Kristin Page Layout 1 November 3rd 05 06:52 PM
Size of character and line spacing David Warwick Microsoft Word Help 1 March 30th 05 11:55 PM
Text is printed with unusual character spacing before the page br. LoveJoker Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 05 08:24 PM
character spacing shift when document is printed cindy Microsoft Word Help 1 December 7th 04 03:10 AM
character spacing changed when document prints cindy Microsoft Word Help 1 December 6th 04 11:18 PM