Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

Default Numbered Lists

I have a need to create a list that starts lettering with a Q, then the next
item is an A, then back to a Q, then to an A. These letters must be indented
exactly the same from the left margin.

I realize that I could use a number of techniques to achieve this result,
but which is the best and easiest in your opionion?

Outlined number lists and sort of tricking the 2nd level to look like it is
not indented when printed out. This would use tab and shift+tab to move from
teh Q to an A.

Styles? Marcos? Your help is appreciated.
--
Thanks, Allison
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Allison

Allison wrote:
I have a need to create a list that starts lettering with a Q, then the next
item is an A, then back to a Q, then to an A. These letters must be indented
exactly the same from the left margin.

I realize that I could use a number of techniques to achieve this result,
but which is the best and easiest in your opionion?

Outlined number lists and sort of tricking the 2nd level to look like it is
not indented when printed out. This would use tab and shift+tab to move from
teh Q to an A.

Styles? Marcos? Your help is appreciated.

I'd setup two bulleted styles, one with the Q and one with the A.

And set each style to be followed by the other.

That's a setting that only works during creation of the document (i.e.,
when you are in the "Q" style and hit return, the next paragraph
automatically is in "A" style, and vice versa). There's no way to force
anything with that setting on an existing text. Still a good help IMHO.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

Robert:

Thanks for your quick response, but I don't totally get it. I can set up
two bulleted list styles (Format/Bullets and Numbering/bullets
tab/customize). Then I created a style of A and Q.

Then I went into list styles, created a Q&A style, and added the bulleted
list style A as level 1, and Q as the level 2. So this works great, but I
still have to tab and shift tab to promote and demote between the levels.

What am I missing by your statement "and set each style to be followed by
the other"?

I appreciate your help!

--
Thanks, Allison

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Allison

Allison wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allison Allison is offline

You are a genius and my hero! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
I will have to try the instructions later tonight, but I am sure that will
work. I just love learning this stuff! Thanks!
--
Thanks, Allison

"Allison" wrote in message
I have a need to create a list that starts lettering with a Q, then the
next
item is an A, then back to a Q, then to an A. These letters must be
indented
exactly the same from the left margin.

I realize that I could use a number of techniques to achieve this result,
but which is the best and easiest in your opionion?

Outlined number lists and sort of tricking the 2nd level to look like it
is
not indented when printed out. This would use tab and shift+tab to move
from
teh Q to an A.

Styles? Marcos? Your help is appreciated.
--
Thanks, Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help.

"Allison" wrote in message
I have a need to create a list that starts lettering with a Q, then the
next
item is an A, then back to a Q, then to an A. These letters must be
indented
exactly the same from the left margin.

I realize that I could use a number of techniques to achieve this
result,
but which is the best and easiest in your opionion?

Outlined number lists and sort of tricking the 2nd level to look like
it
is
not indented when printed out. This would use tab and shift+tab to
move
from
teh Q to an A.

Styles? Marcos? Your help is appreciated.
--
Thanks, Allison

Numbered Lists HCBoffice Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 08 12:47 AM
Numbered lists Lea Microsoft Word Help 2 August 10th 07 04:46 PM
Numbered lists Candy Microsoft Word Help 1 June 4th 07 04:01 PM
Numbered Lists Mary Lee Page Layout 5 August 12th 05 04:08 PM
Numbered Lists Anna Summers Microsoft Word Help 9 July 4th 05 06:06 AM