Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed[_3_] Ed[_3_] is offline

Default First letter in emails is capitalized.

How do you stop Word from capitalizing automatically the first letter of an
email address? It happens if the address is the first item on a new line.
It ends up looking like this:

and I can't figure out how to force the 'W' into lower case.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you're typing a bunch of these, you'll need to temporarily clear the
check box for "First word of sentences" on the AutoCorrect tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect Options. If it's just an occasional thing, press Ctrl+Z (Undo)
after it happens to reverse the correction.

"Ed" wrote in message
How do you stop Word from capitalizing automatically the first letter of
an email address? It happens if the address is the first item on a new
line. It ends up looking like this:

and I can't figure out how to force the 'W' into lower case.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Weird. This just should not happen. Word should recognize that you are
typing in an email address as soon as it sees the @ sign and automatically
suppresses the capitalization. Are you sure that you are typing in the email
addresses correctly (without and spaces in the addresses?)

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Ed" wrote in message
How do you stop Word from capitalizing automatically the first letter of
an email address? It happens if the address is the first item on a new
line. It ends up looking like this:

and I can't figure out how to force the 'W' into lower case.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Weird. This just should not happen. Word should recognize that you are
typing in an email address as soon as it sees the @ sign and automatically
suppresses the capitalization. Are you sure that you are typing in the
email addresses correctly (without and spaces in the addresses?)

My Word 2007 does the same thing......

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Weirder because mine does not. I've just tried Word 2003 on my wife's laptop
and that doesn't either. I don't think I have ever seen it happening any
version of Word either. So there must be some significant difference
somewhere.

What OS and language settings are you using? Have you installed SP1 for
Office 2007?

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Weird. This just should not happen. Word should recognize that you are
typing in an email address as soon as it sees the @ sign and
automatically suppresses the capitalization. Are you sure that you are
typing in the email addresses correctly (without and spaces in the
addresses?)

My Word 2007 does the same thing......

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Weirder because mine does not. I've just tried Word 2003 on my wife's
laptop and that doesn't either. I don't think I have ever seen it
happening any version of Word either. So there must be some significant
difference somewhere.

What OS and language settings are you using? Have you installed SP1 for
Office 2007?

Windows XP SP2 - SP1 for Office 2007 is installed, primary editing language
is set to English UK.
Interestingly, when I went to Language Settings, I found that although the
Primary editing language selected was English UK, in the Enabled Editing
Languages box, both English UK and English US are listed. If I remove
English UK and set the primary editing language to English US then this
behaviour does NOT happen.
However, If I remove English US from the enabled editing languages, it just
re-appears next time I start word so there seems to be no way to actually
test whether it's a bug in English UK or whether it happens because the two
enabled languages are conflicting.

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Unfortunately, Microsoft has decided that as English (US) is the most
important language in the World, it isn't possible to remove it from the
listed languages in Word (although it fools you into thinking it has been
removed, as you observed, it just comes back again).

I must look in Word to see if there is some other setting that affects email
addresses this way.

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

I think I've sussed it. Are your email address recognized and converted to
hyperlinks when you either add a space or return at the end of typing them?
When I type in an email address (either at the start of a sentence/new para
or in the middle of a sentence), it is recognized as an email address and
assigned the hyperlink style. (This enables the click to send an email to
the address/mail to function.) My hyperlink style is set to 'Do not check
spelling or grammar' under languages, so it doesn't capitalize (or I think
that is why it doesn't).

Terry

"Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message

My hyperlink style is set to 'Do not check spelling or grammar' under
languages, so it doesn't capitalize (or I think that is why it doesn't).

So where do I find "Hyperlink Style"?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This confirms my suspicion that the setting to "Ignore Internet and file
addresses" on the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options may come into
play. I hadn't thought that would override the "beginning of sentences"
rule, but perhaps it does.

"Ed" wrote in message
How do you stop Word from capitalizing automatically the first letter of
an email address? It happens if the address is the first item on a new
line. It ends up looking like this:

and I can't figure out how to force the 'W' into lower case.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This confirms my suspicion that the setting to "Ignore Internet and file
addresses" on the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options may come into
play. I hadn't thought that would override the "beginning of sentences"
rule, but perhaps it does.

very interesting - I've just unchecked that option and re-checked it - and
guess what? The capitalisation of email addresses has STOPPED!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This confirms my suspicion that the setting to "Ignore Internet and file
addresses" on the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options may come into
play. I hadn't thought that would override the "beginning of sentences"
rule, but perhaps it does.

very interesting - I've just unchecked that option and re-checked it - and
guess what? The capitalisation of email addresses has STOPPED!

In fact I get NO automatic capitalisation at all now......