Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

Default table cell alignment: can't center vertically

(Word 2003). I created a table (TableInsertTable), highlighted all cells,
right-clicked and selected "Cell Alignment". From the resulting display of
alignments, I selected the cell in the middle row, on the left. I expected
that this would mean text within my table cells would be vertically centred,
left aligned. This is not happening. I can get horizontal alignment
changes, but not vertical. What should I do?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: table cell alignment: can't center vertically

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble centering your table cells vertically in Word 2003. Here's what you can do:
  1. First, select the cell or cells that you want to center vertically.
  2. Next, right-click on the selected cell(s) and choose "Table Properties" from the context menu.
  3. In the Table Properties dialog box, click on the "Row" tab.
  4. Under the "Vertical alignment" section, choose "Center" from the drop-down menu.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Your selected cell(s) should now be vertically centered within the table. If you want to apply this alignment to all cells in the table, you can select the entire table before following the above steps.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Do you have the Space Before or Space After settings of the Paragraph Format
set to different values?

For example you might have the paragraphs formatted with space after of 12
pts and space before and 0 pts.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"David Powell" wrote in message
news
(Word 2003). I created a table (TableInsertTable), highlighted all
cells,
right-clicked and selected "Cell Alignment". From the resulting display
of
alignments, I selected the cell in the middle row, on the left. I
expected
that this would mean text within my table cells would be vertically
centred,
left aligned. This is not happening. I can get horizontal alignment
changes, but not vertical. What should I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SusanU SusanU is offline

Thank you thank you thank you!! I ran across your answer while having the
same problem. This is something that has driven me crazy for years and have
never figured out, and worked!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

.

Center text vertically in table cell Scott Tables 1 October 6th 08 04:27 AM
Table Cell Alignment Sue Tables 1 January 28th 08 11:30 PM
How do you center text in a cell vertically, rather than horizonta sheana New Users 2 January 6th 08 05:48 PM
center text in a table cell ChessNut Tables 2 June 14th 05 03:10 PM
vertically center sunniensc Tables 1 June 3rd 05 08:19 PM