Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erin Erin is offline

Default page numbers start over

I have a document that will not let me consecutively number the pages.
Everything is fine until page 19, and then it starts over again at 1, goes to
page 6, and then starts over again.
How do I undo this?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: page numbers start over

It sounds like your document has multiple sections, each with its own page numbering settings. Here's how you can fix it:
  1. Go to the page where the numbering starts over.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Page Setup" group to open the "Page Setup" dialog box.
  4. In the "Page Setup" dialog box, click on the "Layout" tab.
  5. Under "Headers and Footers," make sure the "Different First Page" and "Different Odd & Even Pages" options are unchecked.
  6. Under "Page," make sure the "Section start" option is set to "New page."
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Page Setup" dialog box.
  8. Go to the next page where the numbering starts over and repeat steps 2-7.
  9. Repeat this process for any other sections in your document where the numbering is not consecutive.

Once you've made these changes, your page numbering should be consecutive throughout the entire document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Restarted page numbers mean that the document contains section breaks; page
numbering options are set for each Word section. Use the Page Number Format
dialog box to set the "Continue from previous section" option for each
section.

To access the dialog box, activate the header/footer area (for example by
double-clicking the header). In Word 2007, click Page Number, and then click
Format Page Numbers. In Word 2003, click the Format Page Numbers button on
the Header and Footer toolbar. Use the Next and Previous buttons to move to
the following sections.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Erin" wrote in message
I have a document that will not let me consecutively number the pages.
Everything is fine until page 19, and then it starts over again at 1, goes
page 6, and then starts over again.
How do I undo this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad I could help. :-)