Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Thanks for the Help

Default Compensating for "a" and "an"

I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His pet is
a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when the mergefield
begins with a consonant. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I think that the only way to deal with this is to include the article in the
data source.

If the data source is a Word document, this could be done using a Wildcard
Replace

See the article "Finding and replacing characters using wildcards" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...gWildcards.htm

If the data source is not a Word document, you could use a catalog or
directory (depends on the version of Word) mailmerge to get the data source
into a Word table so that Wildcard Replace could be used upon it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Thanks for the Help" Thanks for the wrote
in message ...
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His pet
is
a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when the mergefield
begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You could use nested conditional fields top test for the vowels eg

{ IF{ Mergefield Type \*lower} = "a*" "an" "{ IF{ Mergefield Type \*lower} =
"e*" "an" "{ IF{ Mergefield Type \*lower} = "i*" "an" "{ IF{ Mergefield Type
\*lower} = "o*" "an" "{ IF{ Mergefield Type \*lower} = "u*" "an"
"a" }" }" }" }" }

Thanks for the Help wrote:
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His
pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when the
mergefield begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

A simpler version of Graham's solution:
{IF{Mergefield Type \*lower} "a*" {IF{Mergefield Type \*lower} "e*"
{IF{Mergefield Type \*lower} "i*" {IF{ Mergefield Type \*lower} "o*"
IF{Mergefield Type \*lower} "u*" a an}}}}}

If you're sure the animal types will always have lower-case letters, you
could delete all the '\*lower' switches too.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Thanks for the Help" Thanks for the wrote
in message ...
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a

vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His pet

is
a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when the mergefield
begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Simpler?

I prefer to add the \*lower switch when making this type of comparison as I
have been bitten too many times with unfortunate data entry (not mine). At
least this way it should work whatever is entered.

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His
pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when
the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Only a single a/an result, and 20% fewer characters - mostly unnecessary
quotes & spaces. ||)}

I do wonder though what the OP will do when he/she finds he/she has an hare
or a ewe!!

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His
pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when
the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Thanks for the Help

luckily, the animals were only an example the actual field result will be
the name of a state, so I will adjust the "lower" accordingly. I knew there
had to be a way to do it. Thank you guys so much for your help.

By the way, I just bought a book on Word VBA. Going to try to beef up my
understanding a bit. Any suggestions for a book that goes through a thorough
discussion of fields and switches?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Or a holy cow?

--

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or a
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or "His
pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when
the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

And fellow MVP, macropod's tutorial at:

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=249902

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Thanks for the Help" wrote in
message ...
luckily, the animals were only an example the actual field result will
be
the name of a state, so I will adjust the "lower" accordingly. I knew
there
had to be a way to do it. Thank you guys so much for your help.

By the way, I just bought a book on Word VBA. Going to try to beef up my
understanding a bit. Any suggestions for a book that goes through a
thorough
discussion of fields and switches?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Or a holy cow?

--

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that
will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or
"His
pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when
the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Doug's pointed you to my date calculations 'tutorial. I've also got another
'tutorial' - on Word field maths - at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
with plenty of examples of what can be done with just a few of the field
switches.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Thanks for the Help" wrote in
message ...
luckily, the animals were only an example the actual field result will

be
the name of a state, so I will adjust the "lower" accordingly. I knew

there
had to be a way to do it. Thank you guys so much for your help.

By the way, I just bought a book on Word VBA. Going to try to beef up my
understanding a bit. Any suggestions for a book that goes through a

thorough
discussion of fields and switches?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Or a holy cow?

--

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field that

will
recognize whether the mergefield result begins with a consonant or

vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat." or

"His
pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an" for "a" when
the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Don't you just hate this man
I have added a link to that tutorial on my
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm page. Great stuff!

"macropod" wrote in message
[...]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Or a holy cow?

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field
that will recognize whether the mergefield result begins with
a consonant or

vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat."
or "His pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an"
for "a" when the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Thanks guys,

Nice to be appreciated.

Cheers

--

"macropod" wrote in message
[...]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Or a holy cow?

--

wrote in message
I am doing a mailmerge document and need help with a field
that will recognize whether the mergefield result begins with
a consonant or
vowel.

For instance the sentance might read "His pet is a cat."
or "His pet is a owl. I need a field to substitute "an"
for "a" when the mergefield begins with a consonant. Any
ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

I've taken my cue from you and added links to my
http://addbalance.com/word/download.htm and
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/fields.htm pages. These documents are great
resources.

--

[...]