L Temp

Default how do I format a header field

I am trying to correct a doc at work that has a table inserted into the
header field that looks like this:

Name of Co.Limited €“ Policies and Procedures
2. TRAVEL
Section 2.4 Accommodation
Page: Page 1 of 2
Date Updated: 29/01/04

The doc is divided into sections. The problem is that the "Page 1 of 2" line
does not roll over to "Page 2 of 2", for example, in many of the sections. If
I go in and try to change it to "Page 2 of 2" on the appropriate page, it
then changes the first page to "Page 2 of 2" also! It is driving me nuts!

I have the same problem with the "Section 2.4" line. "Section 2.4" is the
header for a few of the following sections also. The section breaks don't
seem to be working. I have tried re-inserting them, but with no luck.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions as I am wasting work time struggling
with this!! Aaaaagh!

Stefan Blom

How are you changing the Page X of Y format? By definition, a header
contains information that should be repeated. This means that if you
are typing Page X of Y (X, Y, or both), it will definitely repeat
across pages within a section, and if section headers are linked (via
the Same as Previous / Link to Previous button on the Header/Footer
toolbar) it will also repeat across sections. Alternatively, if Page X
of Y has been inserted as an AutoText entry and it is still causing
trouble, you may want to take a look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm.

Your second problem is similar to the first one. If "Section 2.4" is
typed in, modifying it will reflect in linked headers. But if you are
using paragraph styles consistently in your document, you may be able
to use a STYLEREF field to automatically bring the current section
title into the header. Locate the STYLEREF field in Word Help to find
out more.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"L Temp" L wrote in message
I am trying to correct a doc at work that has a table inserted into

the
header field that looks like this:

Name of Co.Limited - Policies and Procedures
2. TRAVEL
Section 2.4 Accommodation
Page: Page 1 of 2
Date Updated: 29/01/04

The doc is divided into sections. The problem is that the "Page 1 of

2" line
does not roll over to "Page 2 of 2", for example, in many of the

sections. If
I go in and try to change it to "Page 2 of 2" on the appropriate

page, it
then changes the first page to "Page 2 of 2" also! It is driving me

nuts!

I have the same problem with the "Section 2.4" line. "Section 2.4"

is the
header for a few of the following sections also. The section breaks

don't
seem to be working. I have tried re-inserting them, but with no

luck.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions as I am wasting work time

struggling
with this!! Aaaaagh!

Stefan Blom

I'm glad I could help. If necessary, feel free to ask for additional
assistance.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"L Temp" L wrote in message
I am trying to correct a doc at work that has a table inserted

into
the
header field that looks like this:

Name of Co.Limited - Policies and Procedures
2. TRAVEL
Section 2.4 Accommodation
Page: Page 1 of 2
Date Updated: 29/01/04