Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inobugs Inobugs is offline

Default Paste-Link from One Place in a Word Document to Another

How can I paste-link from one place in a Word 2003 document so the
information (pasted) in a later part of the document is automatically
updated. I would like to be able to insert text and pictures so early in a
document so that when I change the picture or text in the first place, all
the other locations that I have pasted and linked from the first instance are
updated in latter places in the document. The paste-link function doesn't
seem to work within a document. Is there a way for me to use fields to
accomplish this, or some other easier way? Please help.
Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

A REF field does what you want. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Inobugs wrote:
How can I paste-link from one place in a Word 2003 document so the
information (pasted) in a later part of the document is automatically
updated. I would like to be able to insert text and pictures so early
in a document so that when I change the picture or text in the first
place, all the other locations that I have pasted and linked from the
first instance are updated in latter places in the document. The
paste-link function doesn't seem to work within a document. Is there
a way for me to use fields to accomplish this, or some other easier
way? Please help.
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_52_] Henk57[_52_] is offline

In my Word 2002, the Copy/Paste-link will work if you select "As:"
Microsof Word Document Object.

Jay Freedman;2245237 Wrote:
A REF field does what you want. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Inobugs wrote:-
How can I paste-link from one place in a Word 2003 document so the
information (pasted) in a later part of the document is automatically
updated. I would like to be able to insert text and pictures so early
in a document so that when I change the picture or text in the first
place, all the other locations that I have pasted and linked from the
first instance are updated in latter places in the document. The
paste-link function doesn't seem to work within a document. Is there
a way for me to use fields to accomplish this, or some other easier
way? Please help.
Dan -

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Inobugs Inobugs is offline

Jay & Henk57,
After trying and failing several times, I discovered that the problem was
that when I changed the "original" bookmarked text or graphic, I had been
changing the whole bookmarked section. This effectively deleted the bookmark
whether created by paste linking, or by bookmark & reference. After adding a
[space] after the section or graphic, bookmarking it, referencing it later in
the document, and only changing everything but the space (i.e. leaving some
part of the bookmarked section intact), the linkage worked perfectly.
Thank-you both.
Dan