HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

Old November 30th 12, 07:53 PM
Maura Maura is offline

Unhappy HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document in 2 hours!
Old November 30th 12, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

Default HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

They're not "in" the footnotes; they're "in" the footnote separator.

The way to access that -- and change its formatting, in case you don't
like the line length or its indent or whatever -- is to switch to
Draft View, then go to Show Footnotes (I don't remember how to do that
in earlier Word, but if you have a Ribbon, it's at the lower right of
the Footnotes group of the References tab).

You then get a window at the bottom of the document window with a bar
above it, and in that bar is a dropdown from which you access the
Separator. Choose that, and (since you have your Non-Printing
Characters turned on) you'll see some stray paragraphs down there.
Just delete them.

--
Maura

Old March 19th 15, 02:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

your answer totally fixed the problem, Peter, youre the man! i love when you can find a man who knows the answer and theres no need for further searching.. thanks!!
Kate
Old March 19th 15, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

:-)

Old January 26th 16, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

Thank you, Peter. 3+ years later since you posted this--this is still the best solution and advice I could find for this problem. Been combing help pages and getting nowhere.
Old January 27th 16, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

I hope the folks who maintain the newer help system at the MS web site see this!

Old March 18th 16, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Nov 30, 2:53*pm, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

Ditto - huge help, exactly what I needed. Thank you!!
Old June 14th 16, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

On Friday, November 30, 2012 at 2:53:35 PM UTC-5, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

Peter still works! Thank you this was driving me crazy
Old August 9th 16, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected]

This was so helpful Peter Thank you so much
Old August 9th 16, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter T. Daniels

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 3:44:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:

This was so helpful Peter Thank you so much

Nice that things haven't changed through four years of upgrades!